Displaying and Typing Foreign Characters

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Local Lingo, May 29, 2000.

1. Local Lingo

Local Lingo Active Member

This thread is intended as a place to share information on displaying and typing characters in many languages. Most software comes with one standard character set installed. In Windows, it is possible to add character sets and keyboard layouts.

We hope that the following steps will be helpful:

1. Choose Start - Settings - Control Panel
    2. Choose Add/Remove Programs and then the Windows Setup tab
    3. Click on Multilanguage Support to select and then click on Details in the Description section
    4. Choose the language support you would like (for Czech and other Slavic languages choose Central European Language Support)
    5. Click OK and then OK again to start the installation (the operating system disks or CD might be needed)
    6. At the control panel, double-click on the Keyboard icon and then select the Language tab
    7. Click on Add and choose the keyboard for the language you would like to add
    8. Look at the bottom of the Language tab to note which keystrokes are selected for switching between keyboards. You can also choose to enable a keyboard indicator on the task bar.
    9. Switch to the keyboard you would like to use
    10. In a program that has multilanguage support, such as Microsoft Word, try typing the foreign characters. The Czech keyboard uses the number keys to display the unique Czech characters.

This description is just the first step. Please post any comments to this thread.

2. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

The language support works very well for Czech and Russian on my computer (I've got Windows'95). But I cannot remember where the right keys are when typing in Russian. How can I open a window or display which shows me that? I'm working with Office'97.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thank you Local Lingo!
    I have finally figured out how to do it.
    šest pet ect...
    although there are some problems. Like now I cant figure out how to get back to the English keyboard, and the z and y are mixed up. Any suggestions?

4. Local Lingo

The location of Y and Z are switched on a Czech keyboard.

In order to switch between installed keyboards, you have two options.

1. If you selected "Enable indicator on taskbar" from the Keyboard - Language tab within the Control Panel, look for the small icon on the bottom right of your screen. You will probably see a small blue square with En or Cz in it. Put the mouse pointer over it and hold down the left mouse button. You will be able to select your desired keyboard.

2. Go to the Keyboard - Language tab from the Control Panel and look toward the bottom of the tab. You should see keyboard shortcuts listed under Switch Language. You can select which one you want to use when switching between keyboards. The default is Left Alt + Shift. You would hold down the left Alt key and then hit Shift to toggle between keyboards.

5. Local Lingo

Anke,

The standard Russian keyboard is shown below. Is this the one used in Windows 95?

[​IMG]

6. Anke

Anke Well-Known Member

I think it is... thanks.
    Is there a way to display this at the same time as typing? Or is it easier to print it out? Thank you for your help.