"Money makes the monkey dance."

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Anonymous, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How would you say...

"Money makes the monkey dance. Money is the root of all evil"

...in Czech. In case your curious, It is for artwork I will be drawing on one of my bookcovers in school. I would like to have both sentences, but just the last one will be sufficient.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

As far as I know, Czech doesn't have an equivalent for "Money makes the monkey dance". One translation of the phrase could be "Penize roztanci i opici" ("i s carkou" in "penize" and "roztanci" and "c s hackem" in "roztanci"), which literally means "Money makes even a monkey dance". That may change the meaning a little bit but it sounds pretty fun. The other sentence translates into Czech as "Penize jsou korenem vseho zla" ("i s carkou" in "penize", "r s hackem" in "korenem" and "s s hackem" in "vseho").

3. hugo

hugo Member

but of course the true saying is "the love of money is the root of all evil"

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks!
    In case your wondering, the quote was from "American Gypsy: A Stranger in Everybody's Land". It was a documentary on an American Romani (Gypsy) family. That quote really made me think. And I had the idea I could get it in Czech in put it on one of my bookcovers.