Deleting items?

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by jonesnewton, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jonesnewton

jonesnewton Active Member

Hi, why can we not Delete our OWN topics? I know we edit, etc, but feel we should be allowed to do this for our own material. :?:
    The reason for this is I placed a topic for Czech classes and I would like to remove it!

Cheers Neil.. :)

2. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

Hi Neil,

You are right, board members are not able to delete their own posts or topics. It is true that deleting a topic that has not had any responses would usually mean no harm. However, we don't want people deleting their topics if responses from others have already been posted. That wouldn't be fair and respectful to those who have responded. Also, deleting a post that appears in the middle of a going thread could render the thread nonsensical or could dirsupt its flow.

Board members have the ability to edit their posts in order to modify them or make corrections. If you have started a topic and it is not relevant anymore, you can make a follow-up post and explain that the topic is now outdated.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we have thought about this and believe that if everyone was able to delete their posts, it could ultimately do more harm than good.

Best regards,

Dana
    My Czech Republic

3. jonesnewton

jonesnewton Active Member

:) Hi Dana, thanks for your reply, now it is a bit clearer!
    Can you delete a message for me?
    It is about wanting other students for Czech lessons.
    Czech course for beginners. 06/01/05

Thanks Neil.

4. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

Hi Neil,

I sent you a PM.

Dana

5. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, it is a php issue. Once a post has a response, deleting it makes for problems...

6. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

In terms of this bulletin board engine, deleting a post and deleting a topic are different things. Giving the originator of a topic (thread) the right to delete the whole thing would probably not be a good thing to do. Dana is also right in that if the original post is deleted and only the replies remain, it would disrupt the thread in many cases.

Technically, deleting a post will simply remove the post content and post metadata entries from the respective database tables, while deleting a topic will remove the topic data plus all the post content entries and their data that are associated with the topic. Eg. if there are tables in the database for topics (metadata), posts (metadata) and post texts, then deleting a post would only affect the last two and deleting a topic affects all of them. Therefore these actions require separate permissions to be set.

7. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I have been on many boards where the deletion of posts is enabled. I agree, it can sometimes render the thread nonsensical. I find it is a helpful tool to have though, nevertheless.