maz

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Anonymous, May 5, 2001.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I wonder if you can help me, I met some people from the Czech Rep recently, and we started talking and got on well. Somehow later though I started to have an arguement with one of the guys, and he started shouting at me in Czech. I guessed he was cursing me, and we almost had a fight before his girlfriend interupted, and pulled him away. She then came over, and I asked her so what did your boyfriend call me, and she told me, no its ok I think you are a 'mazal'. Anyway the rest of the evening was enjoyable and we split on good terms. however I am now wondering what is a mazal? Can anyone help me.

Thanks John

2. Veronika

Veronika Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John:
    <B>I wonder if you can help me, I met some people from the Czech Rep recently, and we started talking and got on well. Somehow later though I started to have an arguement with one of the guys, and he started shouting at me in Czech. I guessed he was cursing me, and we almost had a fight before his girlfriend interupted, and pulled him away. She then came over, and I asked her so what did your boyfriend call me, and she told me, no its ok I think you are a 'mazal'. Anyway the rest of the evening was enjoyable and we split on good terms. however I am now wondering what is a mazal? Can anyone help me.

Thanks John</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry John, mazal is not bad. It's usualy used for an artist. Like that he does not pain good. Basically it can be used to say that there is something or everything you can not do well. It's not cursing at all.

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

What Veronika says is right. "Mazal" can also generally mean someone who messes things up. It is not a strong word at all.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you sure it wasn't 'namazal se'? That would have meant 'he was plastered' as in 'drunk'. Seems to make more sense in the situation, unless you are a painter.