New Language for me.

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Heather, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Heather

Heather Member

I am attempting to learn to speak Cesky. If I had known 10 years ago I would need to know, I would (and should have) started then. But as it is, it is very difficult for me, but I am learning. I am curious to know if it if is as difficult for native Czech people to learn English? Does anyone have any advice for me on learning?

Dekuji...........Heather

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello Heather. I'm learning the basics of Czech too. There are a Pimsleur-course which costs around $60 I think, but sometimes you can find them on libraries.
    Here in Stockholm I've found "Teach yourself Czech [Multimedium] / by W. R. Lee and Zdena Lee" which seems to be in english. I will probably record this title on my computer and if it works out I can post back here.

My best tip for learning Czech is to spend a week out of civilisation with more Czech than swedish people [​IMG]
    /Simon

3. Heather

Heather Member

LOL........Thank You Simon. Believe me when I say I would like nothing better than to spend a week out of civilisation with the Czech people I know !! Please let me know how your language course goes, I am trying to learn with "Teach Yourself Czech" by David Short......book and audio...VERY DIFFICULT for me.

Take Care............Heather

4. Iva

Iva New Member

Hello Heather!

I am a native Czech speaker and I want to answer your question ¨I am curious to know if it is as difficult for native Czech people to learn English?¨

Well, I have been studying English for 10 years and I think, that my English is quite fluent today. I have spent several summers in Londen and I have spent one year as an exchange student in California.

HOWEVER, I have still some accent and people from the U.S. often ask me if I am from U.K.,that is due to my accent because I have firstly studied Oxford English. And I think that many native speakers can recognize that I have not been born on the English ground. However, we have no problem in understanding each other and expressing our ideas and that is the first purpose of the language - communication.

So, I am sure that you can learn Czech, eventhough some sounds are difficult to pronounce for sure. Drill, drill, drill, that is all what it is about.

Just do not give up!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Heather,
    I was writing because I just decided to study abroad in Prague this summer...which doesnt leave much time for me to learn basic Czech...so if you find that one technique is better let me know!!! Good luck
    Danielle

6. Heather

Heather Member

How exciting for you !!! I am jealous, I must say. But, sorry to say, no, haven't found one "better" way. I have gotten to where I am able to communicate pretty decently with my friend from CZ, but he knows I am only just learning and is very understanding !! It helps, too, that he speaks a little bit English. Good luck to you !!