American president arrives in London

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by scrimshaw, Mar 31, 2009.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Anxious to see what kind of reception he will get on this european tour.
    There is no consensus on how to handle the current global financial troubles.

2. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Hello scrimshaw.

General reception good. No "Obamamania" thank goodness. More interest in his entourage of over 500 staff and his limousine trying to do a three point turn in Downing Street! :wink:

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

In Prague, people, who will want to visit Obama's speech on Prague Castle on Sunday cannot take with them umbrellas, cameras, cellphones or bags. Even if they actually will not see him directly, only on big tv screen.

4. scrimshaw

A three point turn on Downing street in a big limousine. That would be a sight. :D

Oops, I saw he gave the queen a two handed handshake when he greeted her. That goes against protocol.
    It must be painful to be in the eyes of the whole world and knowing that each one of them is looking for your slightest mistake.

Eso, hope it don't rain on Sunday. Zanechej deštníky doma.
    These days it's all about security, security, security. Sad sign of the times.

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

He also gave her great gift - Ipod ;)

I will not go there. But I will watch it on TV.

6. scrimshaw

That's a good choice. The crowd would be maddening. But if you change your mind and go, climb up on a tree and wave, we'll be looking for you on the television.
    This should be an interesting trip.

btw....your rhyme works perfectly

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I shall be in Karlovy Vary. Prague will be a nightmare - closed streets, disrupted public transport, dewey-eyed Americans...

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

A don't think it would be wise behaviour. I would be shot down by snipers. :)

Authorities urge people around the presidential route even to not open their windows.

9. scrimshaw

Your right, stay out of the trees, that was a bad idea :D

This morning in Strasbourg, later in Germany. Busy schedule.

One of those anarchist type protesters in London had fake blood on him.
    I though that was funny. Pretending like there was one kind of police brutality.

10. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Yes the use of red dye and then making sure you get your photograph taken is an old ploy. Use of attractive photogenic young women in a confrotational situation is another. They even tried to turn the sad death of someone into propaganda of police brutality. It turned out the person who died was a passing commuter going home after work who had a heart attack. The peaceful protesters were fantastic. The organised few who were intent on causing trouble were a disgrace as were the press who followed them around praying for trouble so they could get good pictures. :evil:

11. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that our president has been received well. It seems everyone is looking at the first lady Michelle to see what she is wearing.
    I think she dresses very well.

12. scrimshaw

Now they have arrived in Prague.
    Nice to see the great reception they are getting everywhere.
    Mrs. Obama is making a great impression.
    There is a lot of goodwill out there right now.
    So far so good.

13. eso

eso Well-Known Member

14. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Either Barack Hussein Obama doesn't know what he is speaking about or he is a cocooned Muslim.

Or was it merely an obligatory rhetoric before his visit to Turkey?

Translation for Scrimshaw: Buď Barack Hussein Obama neví, co říká nebo je to zakuklený muslim. Nebo to snad byla jen povinná rhétorika před jeho návštěvou v Turecku?

15. scrimshaw

That is a very cool panorama of that square where president Obama was speaking.
    I read the words on that bug screen...'that their world can be destroyed'
    I wonder what the context was there.

Saw your translation there, bibaxe

Zakuklený muslim...prosím, nepotřebujeme žádné konspirační teoria. Asi si myslíš o něcem jako Manchurian Candidate? :twisted:
    Svět je plný nápul pečené konspirační teorií.
    Prosím, nesnaž se prodat tu představu. Je mnoho lidí tam v země internetu, kteří budou věřit čemukoliv.

16. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

17. eso

eso Well-Known Member

18. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Have you seen this?

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/zpravy/muz-v- ... cii/370084

If that video really is of the man who died as it claims and not of someone else entirely, it's quite worrying.

But the problem is i see no proof whatsoever that this video, uploaded by some random person on youtube isn't complete nonsense.

Edit: Ah ha. The video was just taken down.

Good. Nonsense! Lies like that could provoke rioting and real harm!

Also the second video has a good example of an English double negative.

"We didn't hurt no one"

19. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

It does appear that this is the man that died. The video does show unwarrented aggression from a police officer. In my previous post i genuinely felt that the rumour of this man's death was fabricated. However i am willing to accept the truth. I am embarrassed as i thought our police were too professional for this to happen. How wrong i was. It will be interesting to see what now happens. There will obviously be an enquiry. :oops: :x

20. scrimshaw

Revealing video. It's all under investigation now.
    That fellow looked drunk or groggy or pretty unresponsive from the very beginning.
    It looked like a puff of wind could knock him over..