Hot Sauce From Texas?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by h0tsauce, Jun 9, 2009.

1. h0tsauce

h0tsauce Member

Hello everyone!

To introduce myself, my name is Brian and I live in Austin, Texas. I own hot sauce/chile shop here and I'm interested in the possibility of doing business with the Czech Republic.

I sell several hundred varieties of hot sauce, salsa, spices, BBQ and cooking sauces, as well as clothes, books and gifts. I have a kitchen in the back of the shop (used to be a restaurant. we made tamales) and I make a line of hot sauces, salsas, spices and a BBQ sauce.

I am going to Prague in July to have fun, but I am also interested in seeing if people there would be interested in my products. From what I understand, the food there, while very good, is quite bland.

So, to ask you good folks... Would the Czech Republic be interested in some Texas heat?

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Although czech food is not hot (spicey), its not bland. Its quite flavorful actually.

3. h0tsauce

h0tsauce Member

That's really what I meant. For us, "bland" means no heat, not necessarily no flavor.

I'm looking forward to the food when I go over there next month!

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Czech food is anything but bland.

I disagree that "bland" means "no heat". Bland food is food that has no flavor. Hot food is not necessarily "not bland." The "heat" just masks the blandness.

Czech food is rich in flavor through spices and blending of various flavors to give it a great taste.

I like some heat, but NOT on my Svickova or Spanelsky Ptacky or Veprova or Segedy Goulas. Leave them alone. They are great as they are. You can't improve something wonderful with "heat" from a pepper.

Heat has it's place like on chicken wings or taco salad or enchiladas, but not Czech food.

5. h0tsauce

h0tsauce Member

Thank you for the input, Stepan.

I stand corrected. I certainly should have chosen my words much more carefully. Food is a point of pride for most cultures and that was the wrong word to use. I'm simply repeating what I've heard from others who have lived or visited there. I absolutely meant no offense.

This is why I am asking here and why I am going over there to see for myself. If the people of the CR are perfectly happy with their food the way it is, I will look elsewhere to do business. I am also considering Vancouver, Canada or maybe Sweden. I have just heard so many great things about Prague, I'm giving it the first consideration.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Czech's aren't much into spicy, as in hot spicy. As a Texan myself, when I was in the Czech Republic for 1-1/2 year (back in 1994-1996), I was hardly able to find a decent Tex-Mex restaurant. There was one "Buffalo Bill's" restaurant in Prague run by an American, but I understand it has long since gone out of business.

So, basically I was left to make my own Tex-Mex. Even then, finding ingredients was difficult. For example, I could only find tortillas, tortilla chips, and salsa at one place in Prague and nowhere else in the country. I understand it's somewhat easier, now, however. Chili powder didn't prove too hard, though.

Still, the point is that likely you won't find much demand for such spicy food a la Tex-Mex in the Czech Republic. You'd probably do better trying Hungary, or Slovakia (particularly the southern border regions), since Hungarians tend to like spicy food (think goulash!). Otherwise, probably most of the interest you'd get would be among the American expats in Prague. The expat interest may not be insignificant--I couldn't say, since I haven't been back in a long time.

I also remember once I made Texas-style chili (actually fairly mild by my standards) for some Slovak friends and one gypsy friend. The gypsy friend absolutely loved it! The reaction was mixed among my Slovak friends.

Oh, and "Hook 'em Horns!"

7. h0tsauce

h0tsauce Member

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful.

I'm thinking right now, at most, I would export the stuff that I make to stores that specialize in American products.

I had considered opening a Tex-Mex restaurant over there, but I think that would be really tricky to pull off. If I did open a restaurant in Prague, it would be Texas BBQ.

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

When I make tacos, burrito's, or chili, the Czech's in my life love it. I think your product might do well if advertised correctly or sold with American products, but like Stephan said, it wouldn't go well in Czech food.

9. h0tsauce

h0tsauce Member

Very good point. I think the expats would appreciate it, but the Czech people wouldn't really know what to do with it (or would have no desire for it). Maybe if the sauces and spices came with recipes, it might help.

I would certainly not go in with the idea to change what they have already, but rather, I would go in with completely new ideas. Most people like having options and that's basically what I would be offering.

10. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Prague is an international city and consequently will take and absorb many international cuisines. I think Tex Mex type food would go down quite well in Prague particularly with the younger generation and ofcourse the expats. I don't think the Czech Republic as a whole would appreciate it and why should they when Czech food is excellent in it's own right. :)

11. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Picante was a Tex-Mex place in Prague (near nam. republiky) that was non-stop (open 24-7) and did quite well. The food was tasty, pretty authentic, and perhaps a bit over priced. They closed in 2007 - I think the construction of the Palladium and lack of tram service for 18 months did them in. Part of the key to their success was late night service - nothing quite like a hot burrito after half a dozen pivos or so. :wink:

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

half a dozen of pivos :)

"...or so"? I would rather say "or more" :)