letter to the in-laws

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by dzurisova, Jun 16, 2009.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

In preparation for my trip, I wrote my in-laws. I've already sent it as I want them to know my true language abilities. But if anyone wants to correct it simply for my sake of learning, be my guest. :)

Ahoj Vlasto a Jano,

Ják se máte? Doufám ok. Máme něco dobrě - budéme tam brzy! Těším se na návštevu. Doufám že mužu mluvít česky chvili budu tam. Můj česky je moc špatné, ale doufám že nebudu mít strach. Myslím že budu bát se mluvít česky proto všechni budou myslít že jsem otravna. Nebo všechní budou mít zlost proto budou myslít že myslím že nemohou mluvít anglicky (or they will all be angry because they will think that I think they can't speak English). Ale vetšinou mám strách protože myslím že pojdu na jejich nervy proto nemáji trpělivost pro můj špatné česky. Jedenkrat, když Martin a ja byli jsme v Chicaga na Ceské restaurance, jsem zkusila objednat si českém jazyce. Ale servírka měla zloby a řekla "I speak English you know". Byla jsem v rozpacích. Nikdy jsem nezkusila objednat si českem jazyce znovu i v jiných restauracích. Tak mám strách že jiny lidi bude jako tahle servirka a pojdu na jejich nervy. Mozna pokud budu dat pivo vsem, budou trpělivost. :eek:)

Tak, jesli napiš mi, prosim napiš česky protože bude pomoci pro mne. Budu rozumít nebo budu použivát translator. :eek:)

Teším se na vás vidět brzy.

2. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Dzurisova: I think that you can be proud of yourself - I can understand 99% of it and this is great! I wish my hubsand was that fluent :cry: .

Please find my "native" transcript below. Although it might look like you made many mistakes, they are all minor and my comments are only a "tune-up". Sure, you have Czecho-English because you write the sentence in English except for the words are in Czech but there is nothing wrong with this. Even my God mother (originally French) who lived in Prague for 50 years and knew 9 different languages (she was a language guru, she used to teach them all) used to make minor mistakes here and there simply because she came to Prague when she was about 25 years old.

Some of the sentences I might have expressed with a different Czech words better but I tried to stick with your original as much as possible (so you see the differences better).

Also: forget about that grumpy waitress. She probably thought that her English is not good enough or so. Next time just say "I am trying to practice my Czech" ahead of time and you should be fine and dandy 8) . That beer might help too.

Ahoj Vlasto a Jano,

Jak se máte? Doufám, že dobře. Máme dobrou zprávu – brzy přijedeme! Těším se na návštěvu. Doufám, že můžu (mohu) mluvit česky, chvili si u Vás pobudu. Moje čeština je moc špatná, ale doufám, že nebudu mít trému. Myslím, že se budu bát mluvit česky, protože si všichni budou myslet, že jsem otravná. Nebo všichni budou mít zlost, protože si budou myslet, že si myslím, že jejich anglictina není dost dobrá. Ale většinou mám strach, protože si myslím, že jim půjdu na nervy, a že nebudou mít s moji špatnou češtinou trpělivost. Jedenkrát, když jsme s Martinem byli v Chicagu v české restauraci, jsem si zkusila objednat v českém jazyce (v češtině). Ale servírka se rozzlobila a řekla mi "I speak English you know". Byla jsem na rozpacích. Nikdy potom jsem si už ani v jiných restauracích nezkusila objednat česky. Tak mám strach, že jiní lidé budou jako tahle servirka, a že jim půjdu na nervy. Možná, že pokud všem objednám pivo, budou se mnou mít trpělivost. :eek:)

Tak, jestli mi odepíšeš, napiš mi prosím česky, protože mi to moc pomůže. Buď budu rozumět, a nebo budu používat translator. :eek:)

Těším se, že Vás brzy uvidím.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

chvíli si u vás pobudu... I will be staying a while
    když/zatímco budu u vás... While I will be staying

I guess Katka ment rather the second version. Then "Doufám, že můžu mluvit česky, když budu u Vás."

4. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Agreed - but as I said, I tried to stick to her version as much as possible so she can see the differences.

5. dzurisova

Děkuji za pomoc. I really appreciate it. Máš pravdu, vypada jako měla jsem hodně chyby. Protože měla! :D 8) Ale rozumiš, tak jsem rada. Můj učel je komunikační. Můj kamarad řekl že komunikace je ta nejlepší škola :)

6. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I think that waitress had an attitude problem. You'd have thought she'd be happy to hear some Czech.

When you go to Prauge you should speak it! They've very encouraging there because most tourists don't bother to learn it.
    And in the rest of the Czech Republic you simply HAVE to speak it, encouragement is irrelevant and for me it's always non existent to boot.

Nemluvi český! Ježesmarja! Co na děla!?

7. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

I think that some waiters in the US have attitude problems :(

An Asian friend of mine is learning Vietnamese. We all went to a Vietnamese restaurant. He tried to order in Vietnamese, and the waiter got upset. However when a Vietnamese speaker ordered in Vietnamese (with perfect pronunciation) then the waiter did not get upset.
    Something similar happened to me when I tried to practice Greek in a Greek restaurant with a Greek waitress.

So, the moral of the story is:
    don't practice a foreign language in the US with a foreign waiter/waitress, unless you speak that language like a native.

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Unless english is foreign language for you and you have no other option 8)

9. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Very good Alexx! :lol:

Let me rephrase...
    The moral of the story is:
    don't practice a non-English language in the US with a foreign server, unless you speak that language like a native 8)

10. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I remember an incident on my second trip to Prague. Some friends of mine and I decided to eat at a restaurant close to my apartment. Although there was a brief English menu, all of the specials were in Czech only. My friends spoke no Czech and ordered from the English menu. I tried to order in Czech from the specials list. The waiter rolled his eyes but then smiled a bit when I spoke. The remainder of the evening he spoke to my friends in a little awkward English and to me in slow, distinct, and simple Czech. It was a kindness I will always remember. There was only one small problem with my meal. Although I understood the basic forms of the words hovězí (beef) and omáčka (sauce), I didn't understand one little word - játra (liver). Boy, was I surprised. :shock: It was, I have to admit, quite tasty though.

11. dzurisova

that was very kind of that waiter Glenn. I hope I experience the same. :)

12. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Hee hee hee English is always a foreign language in the US anyway, right?

You guys feel so delighted when someone speaks to you in Czech! I've been living here 9 months and been to restaurants and pubs and shops so many times and outside of Prague I can't remember a single time someone spoke a word of English to me hee hee.

I always order something with Chicken in it in restaurants (chicken + mystery items) and I'm always surprised by what I get. But I'm not a fussy eater and Czech food is great so it's never been a problem. I won't say I'm not really shy and awkward and completely terrified at all times in these situations though, but I'm used to it, and I'm a pretty nervous person speaking English anyway!
    It will be so funny when my friends come to visit me in Ireland and realize my nervous inability to do the simplest things isn't due to the language barrier. :wink: