European City of Culture 2015

Discussion in 'Culture' started by staropramen, Jun 20, 2009.

1. staropramen

staropramen Member

Dobry den. I enjoyed a wonderful holiday in Prague at the beginning of June - nice weather, food, travel and people. Unfortunately I didnt do the trip I stated in a previous post (maybe next time). But while on a day trip to Plzen, I noticed they are applying to be the city of culture in 2015. As far as I understand, this honour is to fall to a Czech city and Ostrava is also interested. Did I understand this correctly? Also, what is Ostrava like as a place of culture? - Sorry that is two questions!

2. indy

indy New Member

A little bit late, but I have to reply :)
    Yes, Plzen and Ostrava are competing for the title of european city of culture 2015. The winner will be decided in september 2010.

I'm from Plzen :) , so everything what can I tell you about Ostrava is I don't like this city :D It's city full of smog and the collieries are everywhere.

Official site of Ostrava in english
    http://www.ostrava2015.cz/web/structure/home-2.html

Official site of Pilsen in english
    http://www.plzen2015.net/?lang=en

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well I am from Ostrava, I like it, feel there as at home, however did, do and will not consider it city of culture.

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

This sentence doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me cuz you say "do and will not consider..."

Please explain further. If now, you do consider it a city of culture but will not in the future, please explain why not. If you meant something different, please let us know.

Thanks

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I'm sure he means" did not in the past, do not now, and will not in the future consider it a city of culture." :)

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Apparently, Alexx is new Marquis Gero. :D

Bezruč on you!!! :lol:

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, sry, I meat did not, do not, and will not consider...

8. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Ostrava was, is and always will be the "steel heart of the republic".

:)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, Bibax got the point - Imagine Detroit or Pittsburgh as Culture Capital of the US.

10. staropramen

staropramen Member

Thanks Indy. I know Plzen a little, it has a music conservatory, doesn't it? But I have never been in Ostrava. It sounds like my home town, Glasgow - lots of heavy industry in the past but it still has a lot of vitality. When I was in Prague in June I noticed posters advertising Plzen's bid, I think they are campaigning quite well.
    Incidentally, Derry is the British city of culture 2013. Or should that be 'British' - it must be the least 'British' city here.

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Thanks for painting the picture of what you meant. I couldn't imagine that! :)

12. indy

indy New Member

Yes, there is a music conservatory in Plzen. The best thing is when I walk around the city and live music is playing from nearby buildings. :) I'm sorry but I quite don't understand this sentence " Incidentally, Derry is the British city of culture 2013. Or should that be 'British' - it must be the least 'British' city here."

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Indy: I guess the way it was ment is: Derry (or Londonderry) is the most Irish, and least British city. But I can be wrong, cannot really say I've only "been" there once - and just driving through at night.

14. staropramen

staropramen Member

Yes, its nice to sit on a hot summer's day beneath the statue of Smetana in that plaza area in Plzen and listen to the music drifting down from the open windows.
    I just meant that it was ironic that Derry is the British city of culture because it has been fought over by the British and Irish and it sits right on the border with the Republic. But good luck to them, I hear the city is a really nice place to visit now.

15. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Ani jsem nevěděl, že Porúří (s městy jako Essen nebo Duisburg) je jedním z Evropských hlavních měst kultury pro letošní rok.

I didn't know that the Ruhr region (with cities like Essen or Duisburg) is one of the European capitals of culture for this year.

So Ostrava has a chance.

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I just came back from business trip from Ostrava with my colleagues who have never been there before... they did not seem to be amazed by the beauty of this city.

To make myself clear, despite what I wrote before, I like Ostrava - I was born there, I have many friends there, I studied there and I have some special feeling in my stomach when going back there after longer period. I simply do not think of it as a city of culture. Plzen seems to be more attractive, despite I have been there like twice or so, and many years ago. In fact Plzen is one of two branches of the company I work for, where I have never been (we have 25 branches). I must go there :) to change this fact!

17. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Plzeň :D

Ostrava :cry:

18. staropramen

staropramen Member

The game is over.

I will save a lot in rail fares from Prague.

Sorry Ostrava.