Useful english words that are missing in the Czech language?

For all posts related to the Czech language that don't fit into one of the forums below. Visit our sister site <a href="http://www.locallingo.com" target="_blank">locallingo.com</a> for lots of info on the Czech language!

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Local Lingo

Ctyri koruny

Postby Ctyri koruny » 27-Oct-09 16:11

TomKQT wrote:
Ctyri koruny wrote:Sorry if this came up before, but is there a word for punchline? As in, the last line of a joke or comedy sketch, the one that makes you laugh.

We call it "pointa", which obviously isn't a typical czech word :)

But it's the official czech expression for punchline.

Great! Thanks! :)

So pronunciation... is it like.. poy-in-ta (oi dipthong) or poh-in-ta or does it have just two syllables because I think maybe it comes from something like "point"...?
Představivost je důležitější než vědomosti.
Mám červenou tužku.
Directory of free Czech Learning aids:
http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
TomKQT

Postby TomKQT » 28-Oct-09 9:25

Ctyri koruny wrote:So pronunciation... is it like.. poy-in-ta (oi dipthong) or poh-in-ta or does it have just two syllables because I think maybe it comes from something like "point"...?

It has 3 syllables, po-in-ta.
I'd say it comes from point (probably from the Latin word because I guess point isn't an english word), but the czech word pointa has a slight accent on the -i- in the middle, so it's not pronounced like the english "point" with just -a at the end.
wer

Postby wer » 29-Oct-09 15:50

TomKQT wrote:It has 3 syllables, po-in-ta.
I'd say it comes from point (probably from the Latin word because I guess point isn't an english word), but the czech word pointa has a slight accent on the -i- in the middle, so it's not pronounced like the english "point" with just -a at the end.

Standard pronunciation is /poenta/. It comes from French “pointe” (= point, spike, punch line, witticism, mocking remark…). The origin is in Latin “pungere” (= to stab, to prick, to spike).
TomKQT

Postby TomKQT » 29-Oct-09 17:06

wer wrote:Standard pronunciation is /poenta/

I completely forgot about this. Your right, but this word is already czechized so much that people usually pronounce it "as written".

Postby 1500 » 16-Jan-10 18:19

If you are sick of being at home, you have "cabin fever" or you are "going stir crazy".
Alexx

Postby Alexx » 16-Jan-10 18:23

1500 wrote:If you are sick of being at home, you have "cabin fever" or you are "going stir crazy".

Ponorková nemoc (submarine sickness)?
I cesta může být cíl.
The journey is the goal.
scrimshaw

Postby scrimshaw » 16-Jan-10 21:28

This term 'cabin fever' is not really an illness.

It is an attitude developed from being stuck in a house/cabin too long.(ex.....during a very long cold winter)

The person is suffering from not being able to get out, smell the fresh air.
Jsem zvědav, jak by to vypadalo, kdybych byl přivolávačem deště. Jak by to vypadalo, kdybych uměl přivolat déšt'?
Mám pocit ale, že se to bohužel nikdy nedozvím.
TomKQT

Postby TomKQT » 17-Jan-10 17:20

Alexx wrote:
1500 wrote:If you are sick of being at home, you have "cabin fever" or you are "going stir crazy".

This term is used when you are too long with the same people, not too long on the same place (at home etc.), isn't it?
Alexx

Postby Alexx » 18-Jan-10 15:27

TomKQT wrote:
Alexx wrote:

This term is used when you are too long with the same people, not too long on the same place (at home etc.), isn't it?

Hm... not much difference, when you are stuck in cabin with the same people, you have both Ponorková nemoc and Cabin fever :-).
I cesta může být cíl.

The journey is the goal.
TomKQT

Postby TomKQT » 18-Jan-10 18:03

But you can also have ponorková nemoc when you're on a trip around the world with your two friends ;)