Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by zengac, Jul 14, 2009.

1. zengac

zengac Member

Hello everyone! I am new here and wanted to introduce myself! My name is Liz. My mother's father's family was originally from the Czech Republic. I dabble in family history research, though recently I have concentrated more on my dad's side (from Italy). I am now focusing on my mom's side! I'll be visiting this forum frequently no doubt! :D

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Welcome!

3. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. zengac

zengac Member

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I'm happy to be here! I'm anxious to find out more about the place from which my relatives came! My great grandfather kept a wonderful journal all of his life and after many years, I was finally able to obtain a copy and have recently started reading it. It is facsinating and has so many details about so many things. I already know that I will want to read it over and over again! I found out the town that my great grandmother came from (Vizovice) and have found that they are known for these wonderful holiday ornaments and decorations. I'm trying to find out how to order some for my mom (I posted more about that in the Culture section). As I said, I have concentrated mostly on my father's side of the family from Italy (www.turrisifamily.com) but now want to start on Mom's side so I'm sure I will become a regular here! Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know you all!

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Vizovice are even more known for their booze :)

6. zengac

zengac Member

LOL! In that case, perhaps I should be looking into getting some Czech booze for my mom instead! :lol:

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Look here:
    http://www.rjelinek.cz/?LANG=en

:)

8. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Welcome Liz.

Where do you live? It sounds like the US. I am in Virginia, near DC.

9. zengac

zengac Member

Hi stepan! I live in south Florida, Fort Lauderdale to be exact. Thanks for the welcome!! :D

10. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

GlenInFlorida lives in Tampa. He has visited CR on a number of occasions.

11. zengac

zengac Member

Okay, Glen if you're reading this .. I'm super jealous!! :D I would LOVE to visit there, especially with my mom. My grandfather's (mom's father) relatives came from there. In fact, my great grandmother who was from Vizovice came to the United States when she was only 14, by herself. Years later my mom said the family offered to take her back for a visit but she wouldn't go. They tried to explain that she of course would not be going on a ship for 2 weeks but rather, by plane but she wouldn't hear of it.

12. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

You must go. Save, badger, connive, do whatever you can - the Czech Republic is super!

Many of us on the forum have been there more than once and many others live there. Enjoy reading the posts and do a little searching on the site, there is a ton of great stuff.

:D

13. zengac

zengac Member

Thanks Glenn, I plan to hang around here for sure .. it looks like a wonderful place with some really great people, present company included! :D

14. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Welcome Liz!
    GlennInFlorida, scrimsaw and I live in the Tampa Bay area.

Lucky Glenn has been in CR a few times; I have been in Prague twice and I love it.
    I am planning to go back to CR as soon as I can.

Enjoy reading the posts!

René z Floridy

15. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I am planning a trip to Europe in September (23-30) and will be in Prague at least 2, maybe three days (Friday through Sunday - 25 to 27). A friend and co-worker, his wife, and a group of friends are going on a pilgrimage to Poland, Austria,Hungary, and the Czech Republic - I plan to meet them in Prague.
    Hope I can get together with some of you when I am there.
    'Till then, see you on the boards. :)