meal vouchers

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by michal7, Jul 21, 2009.

1. michal7

michal7 Active Member

I notice that in the Czech Republic, many companies offer meal vouchers. This is a new concept to me. How does it work? Do most restaurants and grocery stores accept these meal vouchers? Any tips or advice on using them?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, not all, but many restaurants, grocery shops and supermarkets accept vouchers. They have info on doors (similar to credit cards logos).

Part of price of voucher is paid by employer and part by employee.

3. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is economic nonsense made possible by politicians and lawmakers. In the end the companies issuing and distributing these luncheon vouchers are the only winners. They do nothing useful, they only sell their vouchers to employers/employees and subsequently they buy them from restaurants, grocery stores, etc. back with at least 5% discount.

Here you can see how false and demagogical their reasons are:
    http://www.accorservices.com/EN/Aboutus ... rTask.aspx

BTW, Tesco accepts only real money not "funny papers".

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Most grocery stores does not accept "stravenky" (meal vouchers). Even if so, when I go to grocery store to get "something" for lunch, it would cost me less then 50 CZK, which is way less then typical 70-90 CZK vouchers. Niether stores nor restaurants give change for vouchers (max. 5 CZK), so it is not worth to pay like 80 CZK for 50 CZK food.

That is the way it support restaurants, as almost any restaurant accept it, typical meal in restaurants I go is around 80 CZK (excluding soup and drink) so it is easier (and healthier) for people to get proper lunch in the restaurant rather then go to grocery store to buy some sandwich.

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on location. Here in Kladno many grocery shops accept them. We buy meat at butcher with them.

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

As far I know, smaller Tesco's still accept them. Only hypermarkets don't.

About vouchers companies as winners - I guess you are right. But many voters want vouchers and I know, that if vouchers would be canceled, then company I work for will not compensate them with anything (It's CRISIS you know, then will say).

So I have no problem with vouchers :)

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

BTW - there is only one difference between "real money" and "funny papers". :)

And that's if people believe in their value or not.

8. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

I have problem with them. I am forced to buy 9 vouchers in order to obtain additional 11 vouchers from my employer (if month has 20 working days). The only "advantage" for me and my employer is that the 11 vouchers are tax-free (but not those 9 vouchers).

Why it is not possible to obtain only 11 tax-free vouchers from employer (or 20 tax-free vouchers with lesser value)? (Answer: it would reduce profit of the voucher companies nearly to half.)

The best solution for everyone (except the voucher companies, of course) is to decrease taxes and abrogate all nonsensical exceptions in the revenue law.

It is paternalistic (I should say communistic) attitude to the working class that certainly does not know how to live healthily.

"Musíme si otevřeně přiznat, soudruzi, že nám lidé nejedí zdravě. Musíme vytvořit takové ekonomické nástroje, které by je k tomu donutili. Hlavně jim nedávat do ruky peníze, jinak si ti volové nacpou břicha nějakým sajrajtem z Tesca."

And my last comment:
    We have only 30 minute luncheon pause so it is impossible to go to restaurants.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I guess you can refuse to get vouchers at all?

And why would any company voluntarily reduced its profit in capitalism?

I agree.

Now you have to only convince Czech voters. Good luck with that! :)
    Isn't democracy great? :)

I see.

Well, I work for Czech branch of evil international global corporation :)
    and I work three days in week from home.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I agree with bibax, it is state organized tax evasion. Or more precisely, privatized tax income.

It is stupid to pay taxes to private companies, and it is even more stupid to pay taxes for nothing.

You can't refuse to pay for the vouchers. It's always paid from your taxes.

This has nothing to do with capitalism. In fact it is privatized communism, of a sort.

I wish it were so simple. Under current electoral system, the existence of government is always dependent on a few pivotal MPs. That is ideal setting for parasitic companies of this kind as they have to “lobby” 1 or 2 of 200 MPs.

Remember Melčák and Pohanka who supported Topolánek’s governments in exchange for preservation of the meal vouchers.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: Where did that quote come from?

12. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

It is no quote. It's only my idea of Paroulánek speaking to his comrades.