Cost of living/Teaching English questions

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by rachelgrr, Sep 18, 2009.

1. rachelgrr

rachelgrr New Member

Hi there,

I am currently an expat living in Peru but and will be here another year. I have lived in the DR and also Peru now and am looking for something completely different.

My questions about the Czech Republic are what is the cost of living like overall. Food. Rent. Utilities. Internet (essential as I work online and take my work with me). I know it depends on where you live (as with anywhere) but I'd like the varying opinions from those of you that live in the city versus countryside, etc. My bills right now in Peru are about $400 USD a month including everything. That's fantastic compared to what I was spending for basic necessities in the US.

Looking forward to any and all feedback!!!

Thank you everyone, and it's a pleasure to be here.

Rachel

2. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I'm living in a smallish town, which means the rent is quite cheap but in my experience food etc. isn't that much cheaper than in the big cities.

My rent is something like 200 euro a month, but the school pays half of it, my wages teaching English, after tax, are about 500 euro a month. Your rent will be much higher and your wages will be somewhat higher in a city I think. I don't know, I'm a pretty frugal person i suppose so I'm happy out, I have enough money to eat and travel and buy the occasional treat. I can even save.
    Internet is about 20 euro a month, my utilities are included in my rent.
    Usually my food costs around 30 euro a week.

The currency is of course krowns, i'm doing my best to convert!

For me the money is mostly something that allows me to keep living here and to travel, I love living here. It would be silly to try and save for life in Ireland (which is where I'm from) but I'm able to help my parents in Turkey a lot with my wages, which is wonderful, and maybe someday when my Czech is good enough I could even go to college here!