Looking for relatives of Michal Zavorka born 1865 in Bohemia

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by pzwwnoka, Sep 24, 2009.

1. pzwwnoka

pzwwnoka Member

I am trying to locate relatives of Michal Zavorka born in Bohemia in 1865 and came to America in 1886. His wife was Rozi Krizek also from Bohemia, but they were not married until 1888, in St. Louis Missouri, USA.
    HELP thanks Patti Zavorka you may email me at pzwwnoka@sbcglobal.net

2. zavorka

zavorka Well-Known Member

Hi Patti,
    our family is from Roudnice area/Dobryn village, but I may ask my mother to locate the origins of her granparents and the periods.
    best wishes
    Zavorka

3. pzwwnoka

pzwwnoka Member

This is morning, I have learned that Michal Zavorka was born in Germany not South Bohemia Czech Republic on 15 May 1867. No wonder he has been so hard to locate. I am still not sure if he is an only child, or if he was born on a military base. Help if you can. :) Patti Zavorka

4. zavorka

zavorka Well-Known Member

Hi Patti,
    it is difficult to search, not being in those cities for documentation, from my family tree we have several relatives present in North western Czech, even in Germany, being the borders so close. Villages as Dobrin, Bechlin, and Straskov have seen some Zavorka as residents, at least in the 1900, pre-I World war period. They were married with german wifes with Riedel and Shauer names. All of them were good at german language.
    there were also many Zavorka not related to my family, so that family name is very common.
    Best wishes
    Palmiro Zavorka

5. pzwwnoka

pzwwnoka Member

Have you any information on Rose Krizek born abt the 1867. She is who married Michael Zavorka? Thanks in advance

6. pzwwnoka

pzwwnoka Member

I have found a record of a Michael S. Zavorka in the 1899 Gould's St. Louis City Directory. I do not know what the S. stands for. Also, Crizek, Rozina, do you have any information on her born in 1868. Michael Zavorka native country was Bohemia, so his naturalization papers say. Help if you can. Thanks Patti Zavorka

7. pzwwnoka

pzwwnoka Member

I am still looking for Michal Zavorka and Rosina Krizek born in 1867 in Bohemia, Czechoslovakia. I have his naturalization records and marriage license. They indicate they came to America in 1887. They married in July 1888. I would like to know if Michal is related to any of the other Zavorkas in America or still back in Czech Republic. I have Michal's bible from Prague dated 1874. Help me if you can, or send me in a direction that might help. Thanks so much.. Patti

8. pzwwnoka

pzwwnoka Member

Michal Zavorka born 1867 has been found in Dolni Becva, Northern Moravia, Czech Republic, along with sisters, parents, aunts, uncle, etc...
    I would love to know more about #74 Dolni Becva, his childhood home farm, and more about Rosina Krizek whom he married here in St. Louis, Mo. Any assistance would be grately appreciate... Patti Jones Zavorka

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

This may be a birds' eye view of the farm. Note that mapy.cz gives two possible locations; I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for, but I suspect it's the first.

You might also try looking for Růžena/Rosalie Křížková. Definitely her surname at birth would have been Křížková.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

The second location bears an evidenční číslo (evidence number) which are assigned to buildings of temporal character, hence the building is hardly from the 1800's.

The first location has a číslo popisné (number descriptive) which are used for permanent buildings. These numbers are stable in the countryside and if the building is from the 1800's it is likely to have the same number all the time. Also a new building in place (or nearby) the former one can bear the same number. Nevertheless, it would be better to check some older map from the 1800's.

Likely, but not definitely. Křížek could be the name of her first husband, or of her step-father.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Thanks, wer. That's what I thought (albeit for the wrong reason), but I wasn't sure.

Okay, that's true, but if her name was changed while in the Czech Republic, it still should have had the feminine ending -ova (that was my main point).