My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Skiing / snowboarding in CR ?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladky

PostPosted: 01-Oct-09 16:41  Reply with quote

I have a business meeting in Prague in early March and would also like to spend a few days snowboarding in CR. Just wondered if there are any recommendations for good ski resorts in CR? and would there be snow the second week of March? or does one have to go to Slovakia?

I know Austrian alps are probably best but I wanted to stick to CR or Slovakia.

Thanks!
Alexx

PostPosted: 02-Oct-09 9:00  Reply with quote

Skiing in early March might be possible, most likely in resorts in Krkonoše mountains, or around Praděd. Slovakia (Lomnický štít and around) should be 90%. Yesterday I heard winter will be cold and long this year.
Lloyd

PostPosted: 19-Nov-09 8:41  Reply with quote

Many people like Slovakia's resorts better, but I prefer Czech Republic mainly because of the better service. I'm going there twice a year and always have stayed satisfied.
Lorelai

PostPosted: 04-Apr-10 13:38  Reply with quote

I am from Colorado, so I ski regularly on very good mountains, and I really enjoyed skiing at Spindlrov Mln a week ago. It was fun trying out my Czech on the lift, and they have no one telling you to ski slowly.

I only saw one downside. People regularly got much closer to me than in Colorado, and I've heard that if there is a collision you could be thrown in prison! Wow! That can't be good for tourism! Is that true?

We took a bus to the top of the mountain at the border of Poland, then skied to a restaurant (Moravska Bouda), which is only accessible by skis or snowmobile, had a wonderful dinner, then skied down the mountain. You should probably be an expert skier if you are going to try this, because the path is narrow, but it was a lot of fun.

There was a great aquapark nearby to refresh your legs in the evening. There is a sign on the door of the sauna there saying "you must wear your towel." I went in and everyone was naked, sitting ON his towel! Hehe.
bibax

PostPosted: 04-Apr-10 15:59  Reply with quote

If you cause a fatal collision (no matter where) you will be tried for negligent homicide or bodily harm. I believe that it applies to Colorado as well.
Alexx

PostPosted: 04-Apr-10 16:14  Reply with quote

Lorelai wrote:
I only saw one downside. People regularly got much closer to me than in Colorado, and I've heard that if there is a collision you could be thrown in prison! Wow! That can't be good for tourism! Is that true?

I do not see much diference between reckless driving, bike riding or skiing. Any way one can harm people, and one should be punished for it. I do not see this as "downside".

Lorelai wrote:
It was fun trying out my Czech on the lift, and they have no one telling you to ski slowly.

As bibax wrote, this is probably the same in CO, however I guess if someone is punished for this in The US, he would sue the lift operator for not giving him instruction to drive safe and slow - this is why they say so.
Lorelai

PostPosted: 04-Apr-10 17:33  Reply with quote

Being sued and being thrown in prison are two entirely different things. The second involves being a prisoner of the state, and this is much more dangerous than a lawsuit. I have the same objections in the US to overuse of police; this is a problem anywhere with excessive government. One group in the northeast US was thrown in prison for failing to pay a tip after dinner!

I've never heard of someone suing after a skiing accident in Colorado. It's possible it happens, but I've never heard of it. If people got sued for injuring others in any of our contact sports, those sports would quickly cease to be fun. Contact injuries are very common in football, for example.

With cars, there are distinct rules, car signals, traffic signals etc. With skiers who use the entire run for large turns, if you are coming down behind them, it is hard to calculate exactly when they will turn, so it's difficult to know which side of them to ski on. If a collision is imminent, and both people turn away even slightly, you are fine, but I noticed a lot of skiers who didn't have the ability to turn quickly, which is probably why they were getting so close and skiing sideways on the runs in the first place.

Even with cars, legally we have acknowledged that many accidents could be prevented by either person. We had such a problem in the US with people purposely causing accidents so they could sue that we implemented "no fault" laws.
Alexx

PostPosted: 05-Apr-10 6:42  Reply with quote

Lorelai wrote:
One group in the northeast US was thrown in prison for failing to pay a tip after dinner!

I honestly do not believe it as well as I do not believe tip is mandatory (meaning there is law for it) in any state in NE US.

I can imagine the scenario when the waiter was unpleasant to customer who left no tip, they start argument about it which developed to fight, injury, prison... but then the inprisonment was not because of the tip.
Petronela

PostPosted: 05-Apr-10 10:19  Reply with quote

lol yeah it’s true Alexx. It happened last year, November or December I think. It will never hold up in any court and all it accomplished was to generate very negative publicity for the pub whose bartender had the couple arrested. American “tipping” system is about the worst on planet and totally defies the whole purpose of a tip. May as well stop calling it a tip and call it an entitlement.
Lorelai

PostPosted: 05-Apr-10 17:39  Reply with quote

There was no physical fight at the restaurant. There wasn't even much of a verbal fight. Basically, a large group ate dinner at a restaurant that had a tip policy which states that they automatically add a 15-18% tip onto the bill for groups of 6 or more people. This group was dissatisfied with the service, so they paid the bill except the "mandatory" tip.

The restaurant called the police and the group was imprisoned for the night.

I was surprised to find that imprisoning people is so common here that most American males will be placed behind bars at some point during their lives. Aah, the Land of the Free...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Travel Tips & Advice All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: