Degree in Translation / Czech at 3ed level institutes

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Ctyri koruny, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Alright, getting ahead of myself by about 2 to 5 years, who knows how long it will take, "three months", but anyway

What colleges (world wide) offer qualifications for foreigners studying Czech? Post graduate?
    What level of English to Czech students going for translation usually have, C1 or C2? (huge difference!) (I'm asking because i figure since I'm a native English speaker, maybe they would let me in with the native Czech speakers studying English translation if my level of Czech was the same as their level of English)
    Is translation done as a separate post grad degree (as in Ireland) or as a only as a module when obtaining a degree in English?

Just thinking about my options.

In all of Ireland the closest thing I could find to a degree in Czech was a degree in Russian with an option to study Polish, not really my cup of tea. and even then there is only one College in the country that does it and it would mean living in smelly old Dublin.

2. Ctyri koruny

3. Ctyri koruny

It seems that course is only possible for Polish, Slovaks and Russian speaking people, Czech for Foreigners.. but not that foreign. It's not that English native speakers aren't allowed do it. It's just that to get in you need C2. I don't see how C2 is possible without dedicating myself full time to Czech for a few years.. and the college course is the way I want to do that!

It's Czech the same as Czech for natives but with the reading list cut in half and slightly lower expectations.

So now I'm reading about Glasgow. Anyone know anything about studying Czech in Glasgow?
    Very nice Czech lady with a Scottish accent on the recording here:

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/77870

They start from Begging/Elementary.

I don't know how high they go level-wise, whether or not there would be any advantage to the course over actually just staying here and studying.

Only about 12 students a year! Hee hee!

It seems to me like a bit of a thing for people who study for fun. I already have my degree in having fun/art and design. I want to learn and get a qualification in something practical.

Maybe I'm allergic to 100% practical. I need beauty too! Tak čestina!

List of colleges in the UK offering Czech (Oxford and Glasgow are the only two that do it by itself as far as I can see... Oxford is of course.. Oxford... but I'm guessing could never afford it in a million years. Or a billion years on a Czech wage.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/se ... H&single=N

Seriously any information or advice anyone could give me on anything, fees, studying in other EU countries, anything at all, I'd be grateful.

http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/czech/pro ... ergrad.php

That doesn't seem remotely advantages to staying here. Why should I go to Oxford and be taught by a Dr. James Naughton the English man (Who's book, though containing very nice readings and listenings and a a nice objective (though useless and impractical) look at the grammar, is not a fraction as good as New Czech Step by Step.) when I could be here being taught by Dr. Pavla ______ová, native speaker with a PHD in Czech and years of experience teaching languages.

I don't get it! I'm sure he's very good at teaching beginners but if that was him speaking English on the cassettes and not a hired actor.. then he can't even pronounce ř!

Also I'd have to study another subject.. I guess I'd choose Russian.

4. Ctyri koruny

I found this course at Charles University:

http://ubs.ff.cuni.cz/english/bachelors.pdf

They say you only need B2 but the reading list begs to differ.
    A friend of mine had one of the books on the list from Maturita and I couldn't understand anything.. though i recognized some of the prepositions.
    I have a book which claims to be B2 and I can understand the majority of it. These are all books for native speakers and published in standard written Czech. I'd say you need C2.
    I'm giving up on this I think, there doesn't seem to be a college course in the Czech Republic that actually teaches you Czech. And the ones abroad are insanely expensive and I could learn far more just by living here and studying by myself.

5. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

6. Ctyri koruny

aye, that's one of the ones i found already.. they expect a C2 level of Czech and my friend who does tutorials there says the only people on the course are Slovak or Polish.

7. Ctyri koruny

I found a Czech Degree course in Vienna that's almost the same as the Oxford one, but with the first language in German, so most of the lecturers would be in German.

Not very useful to me at the moment (but I am considering moving to a German speaking country and learning German) but I said I would mention it in case anyone with a good level of German is reading this thread.

http://studieren.univie.ac.at/index.php ... tx_spl_pi1[showUid]=132&cHash=7285263fe7

My German isn't so hot but reading that I get the impression it's for people who want to be Czech Teachers.