My Czech Republic Home Local Lingo
Search My Czech Republic

 Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Numbers ending in dva, tri, ctyri

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Grammar & Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stelingo
Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 22

PostPosted: 20-Oct-09 20:34  Reply with quote

Do nouns which come after compound numbers ending in dva, tri, ctyri take the genitive plural or the nom plural. For example does one say Je mi dvacet dva roky or dvacet dva let?

Last edited by stelingo on 21-Oct-09 18:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 550

PostPosted: 21-Oct-09 6:42  Reply with quote

I think with age you always use let and not rok... but that's a lexical thing, I can't help you with the grammar bit.
So with age it will always be (as far as I know)

Je mi _____ let.

I don't know about counting bananas, i'm crap at plural endings! Hense my name here, to remind me!
_________________
Představivost je důležitější než vědomosti.
Mám červenou tužku.
Directory of free Czech Learning aids:
http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
stelingo
Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 22

PostPosted: 21-Oct-09 18:13  Reply with quote

After dva, tři and ctyři you use the nominative plural of rok: roky. For example Je mu dva roky. From pět onwards you use let, the genetive plural of léto, rather than roků. However my question is refers to compound numbers ending in 2,3,4. Not just with age but in general. dvacet dvě knihy or dvacet dvě knih?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wicker808
Senior Member


Joined: 27 Apr 2004
Posts: 136

PostPosted: 21-Oct-09 22:17  Reply with quote

It depends how the compound is formed, and the register at which you are speaking.

I'll first answer according to the "official" rules, that is, for the literary register. There are two kinds of compound numbers in Czech: regular, and backwards (AKA German style). So, twenty-two can be either dvacet dva or dvaadvacet. After regular compound numbers, the counted noun declines in the nominative (since it follows immediately after dva, tři, čtyři), and after backwards compound numbers, the noun declines in the genitive. So, both of these are correct:

dvacet dvě knihy
dvaadvacet knih

However, when speaking colloquially, a lot of Czechs do not apply this rule regularly, and may use genitive even immediately after dva, tři, or čtyři. So:

dvacet dva knih

(Note that dva is now masculine, because it no longer agrees with kniha, which is now in the genitive.) You should probably avoid doing this in writing, but in spoken language, it's unlikely to raise eyebrows.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ondras
Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Posts: 8

PostPosted: 22-Oct-09 2:24  Reply with quote

stelingo wrote:
Do nouns which come after compound numbers ending in dva, tri, ctyri take the genitive plural or the nom plural. For example does one say Je mi dvacet dva roky or dvacet dva let?


For me, the acceptable forms are:
1. Je mi dvacet dva let
2. Je mi dvacet dva roků
3. Jsou mi dvacet dva roky (Not "Je mi" )

I think the most used form is the first one followed by the second one. The third one sounds fine to me too but you will probably not encounter it too often.

Ctyri koruny wrote:

So with age it will always be (as far as I know)

Je mi _____ let.


Not quite true. For example you can only use
Je mi jeden rok (not Je mi jeden let)
And for ages 2, 3 and 4 the form:
Jsou mi dva/tri/ctyri roky
is definitely the most used one ("Je mi dva/tri/ctyri let" is very rare)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 550

PostPosted: 22-Oct-09 18:56  Reply with quote

ondras wrote:
stelingo wrote:
Do nouns which come after compound numbers ending in dva, tri, ctyri take the genitive plural or the nom plural. For example does one say Je mi dvacet dva roky or dvacet dva let?


For me, the acceptable forms are:
1. Je mi dvacet dva let
2. Je mi dvacet dva roků
3. Jsou mi dvacet dva roky (Not "Je mi" )

I think the most used form is the first one followed by the second one. The third one sounds fine to me too but you will probably not encounter it too often.

Ctyri koruny wrote:

So with age it will always be (as far as I know)

Je mi _____ let.


Not quite true. For example you can only use
Je mi jeden rok (not Je mi jeden let)
And for ages 2, 3 and 4 the form:
Jsou mi dva/tri/ctyri roky
is definitely the most used one ("Je mi dva/tri/ctyri let" is very rare)



Cool! Wow Czech is really something.
_________________
Představivost je důležitější než vědomosti.
Mám červenou tužku.
Directory of free Czech Learning aids:
http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
stelingo
Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2006
Posts: 22

PostPosted: 22-Oct-09 22:14  Reply with quote

Thanks for all your answers. I find it pretty amazing that this issue is not treated fully in any of the grammar books I have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 550

PostPosted: 26-Oct-09 9:42  Reply with quote

I think they don't want to scare people . I am terrified by this thread.
But the thing I oonly need to know how to say my own age. there'll be no problems in understanding. I never know how old children are. Twill be fine.
_________________
Představivost je důležitější než vědomosti.
Mám červenou tužku.
Directory of free Czech Learning aids:
http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Grammar & Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
    RSS Help

Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 Local Lingo s.r.o.