My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Czech Christmas Cookies
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petronela

PostPosted: 30-Oct-09 11:28  Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have (probably totally dumb) question (as usual lol).
But could someone please tell me what would be longest possible time I can bake traditional Czech Christmas cookies ahead of Christmas? And would storing it in plastic containers with lids extent it’s life?
Thank you so much.
dzurisova

PostPosted: 30-Oct-09 15:25  Reply with quote

Oh how I LOVE those Czech cookies. They wouldn't store long at all in our house. Smile
Dannae

PostPosted: 30-Oct-09 19:06  Reply with quote

My sister usually starts to bake them sometimes in November (next time I speak with her I will ask her). But I would not store them in plastic boxes; the way to do is (or at least everybody I know does so) to store them in paper boxes lined up with wax paper.
P.S. I bake Christmas cookies right before Christmas because my kids eat the up sooo fast. It means if I start early, the would be gone by Christmas anyways.
Jana

PostPosted: 30-Oct-09 22:21  Reply with quote

Well, you can bake Xmas pastry anytime and freeze it (in plastic containers). I usually do it after Xmas with leftovers (if there are any) Wink or with the pastry that will be later taken or sent to friends and relatives. Some of my friends bake so much that they have supplies for another three months Rolling Eyes. Anyway, early November is high time to start baking gingerbread (perníčky), it needs about six weeks to reach the right softness. I cannot wait to start baking - it is the best part of Xmas preparations with all those wonderful aromas of lemon rind, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger...
Petronela

PostPosted: 31-Oct-09 10:18  Reply with quote

Thank you so much ladies!

Dzurisova, yeah I know exactly what you mean about them not lasting too long that’s why I always threaten bodily harm to anyone who even looks at them prior to Christmas.

Dannae, usually I bake right before Christmas too, but I just found out the management of company I work for went insane because I just seen the schedule of workload they want done before end of the year and want to cry. So if I want to get Christmas ready this year I’ll have to start lot earlier and do little at a time instead of crazy baking marathon I usually do.
The reason I asked about plastic instead of paper boxes is because I live down south and the humidity here is unbelievable especially this time of a year.

Jana, omg I didn’t even think of possibility to freeze. That definitely opens out so many new doors, now I just need to figure out what to do with all the stuff in the freezer already hehe. And I totally agree, baking is the best part of Christmas season!
Ctyri koruny

PostPosted: 31-Oct-09 15:42  Reply with quote

Petronela wrote:

Dzurisova, yeah I know exactly what you mean about them not lasting too long that’s why I always threaten bodily harm to anyone who even looks at them prior to Christmas.

That wouldn't stop me!
http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
dzurisova

PostPosted: 01-Nov-09 20:38  Reply with quote

Petronela wrote:

Everyone in my home is bigger than me so it wouldn't stop anyone. Very Happy
stepan

PostPosted: 02-Nov-09 14:06  Reply with quote

I usually bake some Czech Cookies - and store them in tin cans lined with wax paper and put a slice of bread in to keep them fresh and moist.

I usually make about 3 kinds, but I really need a good recipe for "pernicky". Would someone share that one. Any other "traditional" Christmas cookie recipes would be appreciated.
meluzina

PostPosted: 03-Nov-09 6:10  Reply with quote

this is one i always liked - my mother had the recipe scribbled in pencil in the back of her cookbook

rozinkové půlměsíčky - raisin half-moons (although they are more like crescent moons)

50 grammes flour (the all-purpose kind in the states)
140 grammes powdered sugar
grated lemon peel
very small pinch of cloves
small pinch of cinnamon
140 grammes ground blanched almonds
70 grammes raisins chopped up very fine
2 egg yolks

Mix flour, sugar and lemon peel. Add spices, almonds and raisins. Add yolks to combine the dough. Roll out to be about 1/4 centimeter thick. Cut out using crescent moon shaped cookie cutter. Bake on waxed paper on cookie sheet at a lower temparature (added note says 325 degrees fahrenheit) until lightly golden and set.

After they are cooled, coat with lemon icing (the type that turns hard when set - not creamy type of icing). I usually make the icing without measuring, but looked up the measures in other places - 120 grammes powdered sugar, juice of one lemon - blend the sugar and lemon juice with approx tablespoon of boiling water until smooth - you have to use it fairly quickly as it does start hardening...
Irena M

PostPosted: 03-Nov-09 6:21  Reply with quote

Sounds like a very nice recipe! Thank you for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Food & Drink All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: