My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Czech Christmas Cookies
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petronela

PostPosted: 03-Nov-09 14:13  Reply with quote

Meluzina that sounds delicious! I am so gonna try them.

I guess since I started the tread I better add a recipe too. This is one I make every year.

Buttons (knoflicky)

Bottom layer:
200 g. flour (the actual recipe calls for "hladkou mouku" but I had no issues with all-purpose)
30 g powder sugar
140 g butter (of course the "real" recipe calls for Heru, again no issues with unsalted butter)
3 egg yolks

Top layer:
3 egg whites
200 g ground pecans
200 g powder sugar

Mix together all ingredients for bottom layer and roll it out about 3 mm thick, cut out shapes (I use shot glass so they end up nice bite-size). Place on the cookie sheet lined with baking paper.

For the top layer beet egg whites till stiff and gently mix in sugar and nuts. Spoon into pastry bag or just plain plastic bag (don’t have to wash it then Smile ) and squeeze out small dollop in the middle of each bottom layer shape.
Keep in mind that as it bakes the bottom layer will not expand but the top one will, that’s why only a dollop in the middle.

Bake in preheated oven at 300F for about 15 mins.

I usually just zig-zag melted chocolate on them for decoration once they cool, but you can get as creative as you want in making them pretty. Also if you want you can decorate them with pecan pieces before putting them in the oven.

They are good to eat the next day so no need to prebake ahead.
meluzina

PostPosted: 03-Nov-09 21:14  Reply with quote

i make something almost like yours - same basic dough and same process - but with hazelnuts instead of pecans and add a dash of cinnamon to the eggwhite mixture...

and butter is always better than hera - and more or less interchangeable in any recipe i think...
dzurisova

PostPosted: 03-Nov-09 22:22  Reply with quote

meluzina wrote:
rozinkové půlměsíčky - raisin half-moons (although they are more like crescent moons)

50 grammes flour (the all-purpose kind in the states)
140 grammes powdered sugar
grated lemon peel - how much? The entire peel from one lemon?
very small pinch of cloves
small pinch of cinnamon
140 grammes ground blanched almonds
70 grammes raisins chopped up very fine
2 egg yolks

Petronela

PostPosted: 18-Nov-09 18:03  Reply with quote

meluzina wrote:
i make something almost like yours - same basic dough and same process - but with hazelnuts instead of pecans and add a dash of cinnamon to the eggwhite mixture...

and butter is always better than hera - and more or less interchangeable in any recipe i think...

Unfortunately hazelnuts are non existent in my area Sad , however I may try with almonds. But I’m going to try a batch with cinnamon, that does sound delicious. Thank you for the ideas Smile
Jana

PostPosted: 18-Nov-09 21:31  Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately hazelnuts are non existent in my area
- and what about filberts? I can easily find them in stores here (Abingdon, VA or Bristol, TN) and they taste almost the same as hazelnuts.
Petronela

PostPosted: 19-Nov-09 12:45  Reply with quote

Jana, I’ll try that. Thanks. Laughing
However I really do live in the boondocks so am not holding my breath, biggest grocery store in area is super walmart (gods help us) and it’s not even the largest model. But there is hope for us yet, next year Publix is coming to the area so we may actually get more selection.
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 19-Nov-09 17:24  Reply with quote

I know Alabama is a big state but, if you are anywhere near Pensacola Florida, they have Publix markets now - just got them about half a year ago or so.
Petronela

PostPosted: 19-Nov-09 18:13  Reply with quote

I’m on the SE end so it’s usually the one in Panama City I go to whenever we go down to the beach. But good to know Pensacola has one too, will check it out when visiting friends in that end. Been to the one in Navarre also, that’s why I’m so gung-ho about getting one in our area too. Very Happy (there should be an emoticon for "happy dance")
Duludka

PostPosted: 23-Nov-09 18:27  Reply with quote

I usually bake two kinds of gingerbread. Here they are:

1) 600 g flour (if you use 1/3 of rye flour, it will be even better), 300g powdered sugar, 4 eggs, 4 spoons honey, 1 tea spoon bicarbonate, 1 spoon milled spice: roseapple, chinese anise, cinnamon. I use to add more spice than is written in the recipe - if the dought smells good, it is exactly the right quantity of spice in it. Let the dought lie in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Spread the cored gingerbread(s?...I don´t know if it has plural) with whipped egg and bake. If you need to have gingerbread soft earlier than in six weeks, put some water into a pot, than a smaller pot filled of the gingerbread, cover it with a pot lid and let lie about one day. Then you can decorate it with the white glaze made of egg white and sugar (it has to be dense enoug). My gingerbread loos like that: http://duludka.rajce.idnes.cz/nastenka/#IMG_3150.jpg

2) 450 g flour (also you can use 1/3 of rye flour), 200 g powdered sugar, 150 g honey, 90 g butter, 105 g milled nuts or almonds, 3 youls of eggs, 1,5 white egg, 3/2 tea spoon of bicarbonate, spice: anise, chinese anise, roseapple, cinnamon. Don´t spread with egg. Join done gingerbread with farcing (made of milled sponge biscuites or gingerbread, milled nuts (more than 100 g), rum (the czech type, if you don´t have it, use some aromatic brandy) and jam (preferably redcurrant or cherry). Joined gingerbread spread with chocolate. I decorate it also with small hearts made of marzipan. It isn´t necessary to let it get soft, because it is soft always. http://duludka.rajce.idnes.cz/nastenka/#Img_2674.jpg
Irena M

PostPosted: 23-Nov-09 20:37  Reply with quote

Duludka,
What is roseapple?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Food & Drink All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: