Bargain DVD - Vítejte v KLDR! / Welcome to North Korea!

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by Yvan, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

Vítejte v KLDR! / Welcome to North Korea!

Czech documentary film (2008) with the ENGLISH subtitles.
    At newsstands and tobacconists since 27.11.09, for 52 Kc.

In its catalogue, a Czech travel agency offers a “journey into the unknown”, a tour of North Korea. This spring was the second time since 1990 that a group of Czech tourists set foot in the DPRK. The film follows twenty-seven Czechs who have decided to spend approximately 2,600 Euros on a sightseeing tour of a country which cultivates a cult of personality, maintains concentration camps for its citizens and doesn’t hide its development of nuclear weapons. Foreign visitors are only allowed a view of a carefully prepared illusion, thoroughly supervised by “guides”. What is more, the North Korean system is starkly reminiscent of our own past. Which emotions do our travellers experience: sympathy, nostalgia or, in contrast, happiness that “we already have this behind us”? How does a Czech person, after being accustomed to eighteen years of freedom and democracy, come to terms with the directives and restrictions of a totalitarian system?
    http://www.vitejtevkldr.cz/en

TOUR GUIDELINES
    § 1
    It’s forbidden to bring cell phones, GPS devices, telephoto lenses longer than 150mm and camcorders into North Korea.
    § 2
    Taking photographs from trains or buses is strictly forbidden.
    § 3
    It’s not possible to separate from the group.
    § 4
    Hotel rooms can be bugged.
    § 5
    Three guides will be responsible for our group.
    §6
    Some of the assigned guides may understand Czech.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I have seen this movie several times, for the first time in Aero cinema. Akward but interesting, well worth those €2 / $3. I would like to go there too, however spending €2000+ for one week ... it is more then my 3 weeks budget for next year USA trip :). Sponsor welcomed! ;-)

Yvan, is there some "added value" in the DVD, or just the movie with one sound track and english subtitles?

3. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

At the wrapper is written that DVD contains not used sequnces but I've not watched them.

4. shuvit

shuvit New Member

Hi all,

I'm really interested in the DPRK, and I missed this documentary at a recent festival; it was called 'Welcome to North Korea', and I thought it was the 2001 'Welcome to North Korea' documentary instead of the 2009 'Vitejte v DLKR' documentary.

I wanted to buy this DVD, but it is not possible to buy it anywhere on the internet, not even on the creator's website. Because I really want to see this movie I then looked for a download, and I found one.

However, this is only in Czech, and does not have any English subtitles. Because you say you have the DVD, could you please rip the subtitles from this DVD and export them to .srt files? This can be done with the program ImTOO DVD Subtitle Ripper which can be downloaded for free from here.

If you would email them to me, I will put them on opensubtitles.org (or you can put them there yourself) so others can see this movie too. I think it's vital to spread information on the North Korean regime. When the movie becomes available I will buy it through the internet, however it is not possible ATM, only in the Czech Republic.

You have my eternal thanks if you would be so kind as to do this. I have looked for a genuine copy from this movie for months and finally for an (illegal) download for a few weeks, before I realized I should look at the Czech name. I am really looking forward to seeing this movie.

If you are not willing to do this, please tell me so, then I can try to find someone speaking Czech here and try to let them translate it for me, however this will be a few hours work so I'd rather have someone rip them for me, which takes about 10 minutes...

Thank you in advance, I wouldn't do this unless I was really desperate![/url]

5. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

If he finds someone and "lets them translate" be sure you charge him at least the standard rate of at least 100 crowns per A4 sheet (I forget the standard text size, probably 250 words or so)

Otherwise good luck in your quest for subtitles/a legal copy!

6. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member