Directory of Free Czech learning aids

Link to multimedia files (audio, video) that you find helpful in learning the Czech language.

Moderator: gementricxs

User avatar
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: 25-Aug-08 16:26

Directory of Free Czech learning aids

Postby Ctyri koruny » 04-Dec-09 21:31

I am making a web page for useful things for learners of Czech.

So far this is what it looks like:

http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/

What would you guys add to it? Any suggestions? Is the widget showing up in Czech?

It would be great if someone could tell me a good online monolingual Czech dictionary (that includes parts of speech?... and dare I dream.. example sentences? )
Last edited by Ctyri koruny on 04-Feb-10 15:54, edited 2 times in total.
TomKQT
Senior Member
Posts: 97
Joined: 24-Oct-09 17:31
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic

Postby TomKQT » 04-Dec-09 22:22

Just a small bug - both the links under Modrá je dobrá are for the lyrics, the link to a Youtube video is missing ;)
Last edited by TomKQT on 04-Dec-09 22:35, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: 25-Aug-08 16:26

Postby Ctyri koruny » 04-Dec-09 22:27

Hee hee wupps! Thank you!

Fixed!
Představivost je důležitější než vědomosti.
Mám červenou tužku.
Directory of free Czech Learning aids:
http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
TomKQT
Senior Member
Posts: 97
Joined: 24-Oct-09 17:31
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic

Postby TomKQT » 04-Dec-09 22:35

Here is an online dictionary of Czech synonyms:
http://www.slovnik-synonym.cz/

Not a really great one, but can maybe help.
User avatar
GlennInFlorida
Senior Member
Posts: 996
Joined: 10-Apr-05 4:20
Location: Tampa Florida USA

Postby GlennInFlorida » 04-Dec-09 23:50

I like this dictionary

http://www.slovnik.cz/

your web page is neat!
"Life is a banquet... and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame
User avatar
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: 25-Aug-08 16:26

Postby Ctyri koruny » 05-Dec-09 10:56

I do like that one an awful lot, but I've had problems with it in the past, especially when it comes to choosing the right word, so I'd like a Czech-czech dictionary for the "everyone else" section so that people can Czech (ho ho! I meant to write "Check") the explanation of what they are saying.

And Tom that is a cool website but I don't know how useful Thesauruses are until one is proficient and writing a dissertation! I probably use thesaurus.com every week, but in English of course, and it includes a dictionary definition.

Czech-czech dictionaries are unusual even in print form because for the most part Czech people rarely come across a Czech word they don' understand, unlike in English where it happens almost every day (800,000 English words)... but i KNOW i've seen one somewhere online!
wer
Senior Member
Posts: 1700
Joined: 17-Nov-05 0:52
Location: East Bohemia

Postby wer » 05-Dec-09 12:20

There are many monolingual dictionaries of Czech. Only the on-line dictionaries are limited.

Use http://prirucka.ujc.cas.cz/ for grammar (orthography) and http://bara.ujc.cas.cz/psjc/ for explanation of meanings and examples of usage.

There is a lot of dictionaries of foreign words (slovník cizích slov), that is dictionaries of Czech words of foreign origin, e.g. http://slovnik-cizich-slov.abz.cz/.
TomKQT
Senior Member
Posts: 97
Joined: 24-Oct-09 17:31
Location: Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic

Postby TomKQT » 05-Dec-09 13:17

Ctyri koruny wrote:And Tom that is a cool website but I don't know how useful Thesauruses are until one is proficient and writing a dissertation! I probably use thesaurus.com every week, but in English of course, and it includes a dictionary definition.


It could IMHO be used similarly to a monolingual dictionary, in some cases. If someone doesn't understand some word, maybe he'll understand some of the synonyms of that word.
But of course, explanation of the meaning of the word is much better ;)
User avatar
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: 25-Aug-08 16:26

Postby Ctyri koruny » 05-Dec-09 15:00

TomKQT wrote:
Ctyri koruny wrote:And Tom that is a cool website but I don't know how useful Thesauruses are until one is proficient and writing a dissertation! I probably use thesaurus.com every week, but in English of course, and it includes a dictionary definition.


It could IMHO be used similarly to a monolingual dictionary, in some cases. If someone doesn't understand some word, maybe he'll understand some of the synonyms of that word.
But of course, explanation of the meaning of the word is much better ;)


But the thing is that no two words ever mean the same thing, they always have different connotations and collocations. It's okay for a native speaker to use a thesaurus without any explanations or examples because they'll be choosing from words they've heard before, but for me i'm right back where I started with another word i'm not 100% sure of the meaning of or of how to use it.

If other learners disagree with me and think it's very useful then I'll put it up! I want the directory to be for everyone not just me :)
Představivost je důležitější než vědomosti.

Mám červenou tužku.

Directory of free Czech Learning aids:

http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/
User avatar
Ctyri koruny
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: 25-Aug-08 16:26

Postby Ctyri koruny » 05-Dec-09 19:24

Ctyri koruny wrote:I am making a web page for useful things for learners of Czech.

So far this is what it looks like:

http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/

What would you guys add to it? Any suggestions? Is the widget showing up in Czech?

It would be great if someone could tell me a good online monolingual Czech dictionary (that includes parts of speech?... and dare I dream.. example sentences? )


Updated! totally pimped out! http://sites.google.com/site/czechdirectory/

Have a look at this site for English teachers:

www.eslprintables.com

I know we'll never get that far, but if make something for yourself or someone else to help you learn Czech, why not share it? I have a special section for PDFs and JPEGs and you guys can send me anything you make and I'll put it there! (With your name of course :) )

If anyone wants to join this as a collaborator say and i can give you edit rights.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests