My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Vanilkove Rohlicky
Go to page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dascha

PostPosted: 14-Dec-09 18:20  Reply with quote

My mom has been making these cookies my whole life (long time!) and she was famous for them in Canada but the last 3 or 4 years, they have been really dry and brittle and this year she is about to rip her hair out from frustration and says she is never going to make them again.

I would like to try but using a different recipe than hers. I've found some on the internet but one has eggs and one doesn't, one calls for regular sugar another says only vanilla sugar. Can anyone help me with a recipe? Do you use eggs? Sugar or vanilla sugar? Or icing sugar instead? I want to try a batch and see what happens, maybe save maminka's sanity...
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 14-Dec-09 19:18  Reply with quote

no recipe but a little advice...
don't "pack" your flour in the measuring cup and level it off with a knife - baking is a science and even a little extra flour can make your cookies dry.
Dascha

PostPosted: 14-Dec-09 20:10  Reply with quote

She says she used even less flour this year than the recipe calls for and extra butter. But they still came out dry and brittle. I think it must be the temp in the oven or too long baking time but she says it isn't. I don't know. Guess I will try a few different recipes and see what happens.
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 14-Dec-09 23:17  Reply with quote

here is a recipe

1-1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup ground almonds or filberts
1/2 cup butter
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Vanilla Sugar (see below)

Mix together flour, sugar, and almonds. Cut in butter. Add egg yolk and vanilla and work quickly into a dough. Chill for about 1 to 2 hours. Shape into small crescents and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Roll in Vanilla Sugar while hot.

Vanilla Sugar

Wrap a vanilla bean in foil and dry in the oven until brittle (it doesn't say how hot - I would think a low heat would work best). Break into small pieces and beat in a mortar with 2 or 3 sugar cubes to a fine powder (I would use a food processor).Sift. Keep in an airtight jar. Mix with confectioners sugar for use.

This is from Joza Brizova's "The Czechoslovak Cookbook" - hope it works for you.
Dascha

PostPosted: 14-Dec-09 23:23  Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I'm going to try it tonight...
dzurisova

PostPosted: 15-Dec-09 17:48  Reply with quote

GlennInFlorida wrote:
no recipe but a little advice...
don't "pack" your flour in the measuring cup and level it off with a knife - baking is a science and even a little extra flour can make your cookies dry.

Thanks Glenn, I made cukrovi with Czech friends at thier house and things turned out fine - they have a grams measuring device from CR. I went home and tried to duplicate using a conversion table to cups and they were too dry. The Roličky taste like way too much flour. But I always pack the cup and level it off with a knife. Perhaps thats the problem. So what do you suggest we do, just pour it in until it's almost full?
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 15-Dec-09 21:14  Reply with quote

No, just a bit more than the full measure then level it off with a knife (of course some recipes will tell you to pack the flour - if they do , follow the directions - if it is too dry, ignore the packing comment).
meluzina

PostPosted: 17-Dec-09 8:58  Reply with quote

GlennInFlorida wrote:
here is a recipe

1-1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup ground almonds or filberts
1/2 cup butter
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Vanilla Sugar (see below)

Mix together flour, sugar, and almonds. Cut in butter. Add egg yolk and vanilla and work quickly into a dough. Chill for about 1 to 2 hours. Shape into small crescents and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Roll in Vanilla Sugar while hot.

Vanilla Sugar

Wrap a vanilla bean in foil and dry in the oven until brittle (it doesn't say how hot - I would think a low heat would work best). Break into small pieces and beat in a mortar with 2 or 3 sugar cubes to a fine powder (I would use a food processor).Sift. Keep in an airtight jar. Mix with confectioners sugar for use.

This is from Joza Brizova's "The Czechoslovak Cookbook" - hope it works for you.

this is the recipe my mother used (and which i still use) - i think it used more nuts... although that is hard to tell as i am used to the recipe in grammes - is it still dificult to find a kitchen scale in the us that has them? i know it took me mum forever once her old one broke...

150 grammes cake flour
20 grammes sugar
100 grammes butter at room temp
50 grammes ground walnuts or almonds (i prefer the walnuts personally)
1 egg yolk
vanilla (you can use vanilla extract or packaged vanilla sugar as well)

otherwise the process is the same as glenn's
Petronela

PostPosted: 17-Dec-09 11:41  Reply with quote

I know this is absolutely “wrong thing to do” but while back someone told me 1 cup of all purpose flour is 4 oz. and ever since then I have been weighing all purpose flour this way in recipes written in “cups”and really have to say it helped. But it’s only my personal experience.

As for metric scales, they are relatively easy and cheap these days to get. The one I have I picked up on e-bay about a year ago for $12. It’s digital, has a little button to switch from pounds to kilos and goes up to 5kg/11lbs.

I do prefer recipes in kilos/litters, it’s just so much more accurate and fool-proof. I wish America just got on with the system and converted already! Twisted Evil
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 17-Dec-09 12:28  Reply with quote

here is a link for cooking unit conversion

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Food & Drink All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: