Recommendations for the gender Czech language manual

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Yvan, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

Czech language isn't gender neutral at all.

The typical example of that is a very nice gramatic sentence which is an example that using of "y" or "i" at the Czech past tense is gender dependent :

"Ženy si hrály s tvrdým a muži odcházeli s měkkým."

(The sentance has both gramatic and sexual meaning).

But some gender language guerilla fighters try to change this situation.
    They are preparing gender language manual for the Czech schools how to use Czech language in "the gender correct way". Quite funny.

There is a very nice article about it from Leo Pavlat, the director of the Jewish Museum in Prague.
    Leo Pavlát: Doporučení pro genderovou příručku / Recommendations for the gender Czech language manual.
    (The whole article is in Czech).
    http://www.rozhlas.cz/radio_cesko/fejet ... ava/679305

2. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

I don't get the point of the article :shock:

What were they trying to say?

3. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

You're saying that grammatical gender and sex are not mutually exclusive things as we imagine? Or...

4. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

I don't think taht you can understang the article without knowing subtle aspects of the Czech languae.
    The article in very witty and nonagressive way shows how absurd are some efforts for polliticaly correctness in using Czech language and that these activities are going against the real nature of the Czech language.

No.

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

This is crimepost. Only oldthinkers unbellyfeel newspeak. This doubleplusgood change is unevadewise to unexist oldspeak and prolespeak.

6. TomKQT

TomKQT Well-Known Member

So it was something like sarcasmus? That gives sense, I probably didn't read it carefully enough and I though the author of the article actually wanted to change something in the czech language.

7. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Okay.. then why did you say "sexual" ?