My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Tennis - Czechs at Wimbledon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wissy

PostPosted: 06-Jul-10 14:19  Reply with quote

I was very interested in the great performances of Tomas Berdych and Petra Kvitova at Wimbledon this year - both performing well on grass.

Why are the Czechs (with a small population) so high up in the world rankings at tennis. What is the secret? Very Happy
wer

PostPosted: 07-Jul-10 18:59  Reply with quote

wissy wrote:
I was very interested in the great performances of Tomas Berdych and Petra Kvitova at Wimbledon this year - both performing well on grass.

You forgot of Kristýna Plíšková, the only Czech to win the final this year. Wink

Quote:
Why are the Czechs (with a small population) so high up in the world rankings at tennis.

And are the Czechs so high up in the world rankings?
The 3rd place in current ITF ranking is due to the participation in the last Davis Cup final which was rather exceptional event in recent years. In fact, Czech tennis was in crisis not a long time ago when leaving the top group of Davis Cup for the first time in history.

And is the Czech population so small? It is bigger than that of Sweden or Switzerland.

Quote:
What is the secret? Very Happy

OK, let’s accept your premise.

It could be because tennis is popular in the Czech Republic (relatively to both other sports and other countries), because it has long tradition in Czech countries (so much for the historical accomplishments) and finally there is the well-known fact that Czechs tend to excel in technical sports and suck in strength demanding sports.

Or perhaps it is because tennis elbow is so frequent in Czech population. Very Happy
wissy

PostPosted: 08-Jul-10 9:04  Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Wer. Very Happy

You are right! How could i forget the performance of Kristýna Plíšková. She did really well to win the juniors. She is one to watch. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: