My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Foods Czechs find odd
Go to page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wer

PostPosted: 11-Aug-10 15:09  Reply with quote

kotja wrote:
yuck hops beer is the only beer

Cool
dzurisova

PostPosted: 19-Aug-10 15:08  Reply with quote

Alexx wrote:
grocery stores like Walmart will be our "daily bread".
Alexx, you wont find good bread at walmart. You will be better off to ask a local for directions to a local bakery. American bread is aweful and I'm positive once you have ot, you'll be searching for a bakery.
Jana

PostPosted: 19-Aug-10 19:13  Reply with quote

Well, so-called Jewish rye bread with caraway seeds is quite acceptable; we used to order Czech bread from a small bakery in Johnson City, but it does not exist anymore, so now I have two options - either bake bread at home or go to Kroger or Wal-Mart early in the morning (before it is sold out) and get that rye bread. It is softer than the Czech one, but it tastes quite good, namely when toasted.
stepan

PostPosted: 20-Aug-10 15:39  Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, so-called Jewish rye bread with caraway seeds is quite acceptable; we used to order Czech bread from a small bakery in Johnson City, but it does not exist anymore, so now I have two options - either bake bread at home or go to Kroger or Wal-Mart early in the morning (before it is sold out) and get that rye bread. It is softer than the Czech one, but it tastes quite good, namely when toasted.

I remember the old Endwell Bakery on Clinton St. in Binghamton owned by the Tomiska's. In fact we lived with them above the bakery for a while when we first arrived in the US. Their bread was the best bread I have ever eaten. We use to buy their large round rye bread - it was a good 16 inches across - and enjoyed it with butter (and sometimes homemade lard) and salt. It was especially good when I could have some beer with it.

When the Endwell Bakery closed, the bakery (and the name escapes me - was it the Cottage Bakery?) on Harry L Drive used the same recipe as Tomiska's and thier rye bread was equally good. When they closed, there was no real good place to buy bread unless you went to the Elk's Bakery on Washington Ave. in Endicott, NY. Their rye bread was OK, but better than anything else that one could buy.

My wife and I have moved several times (Ohio, Connecticut and now in Virginia) and I have NEVER found good rye bread - most is too soft and has no real crust. I like a bread that I can sink my teeth into. Not have a bread that sinks around my teeth.

I can't wait to visit the Czech Republic and have some REAL rye bread. mmmmm-good.
Sova

PostPosted: 08-Sep-10 15:48  Reply with quote

wer wrote:
Sova wrote:
root beer and peanut butter.

Most of Czechs would eat it without a blink. It's unusual, but not weird.

Hmmm ... most of my Czech friends who tried root beer told me it tasted like medicine, and didn't seem to want anymore. Also most thought peanut butter was strictly an American "acquired" taste.
kotja wrote:
Sova wrote:
root beer and peanut butter.

Actually peanut butter tastes like Nugeta.
What is root beer?

I didn't think Nugeta tasted much like peanut butter at all (my opinion, at least).
Colonel_Mustard

PostPosted: 17-Nov-10 5:11  Reply with quote

My Czech friends always used to find Marmite rather disgusting.
Yerusalyim

PostPosted: 07-Feb-11 4:35  Reply with quote

My wife doesn't like our bread...I don't either. She can't stand peanut butter...our kids love it though...it's what you're used to I guess.
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: