Czech villages - search

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by jackson22, Aug 23, 2004.

1. jackson22

jackson22 Member

Hello - looking for any information that would be helpful in locating a few towns in Czech. I am no longer certain if any of these still exist, or if the towns have been renamed. The only information I have comes from family letters from before the 1840's...
    The family land was on or near something named Piessnig - maybe with one " s ". This should have been near Gabel, and Leida, and Keida, and Muhlbach...The names may have been mis-spelled. If you can recommend a local Czech historian, or good source for older maps, I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

It seems as though you had this question already answered on another message board: http://genforum.genealogy.com/austria/messages/7163.html
    Assuming the former answer is correct and Piessnig is indeed Pisecna, and Leipa (if this is the correct spelling) is indeed Ceska Lipa, here is the village on the map (zoomable):
    http://www.mapy.cz/handler.py?actio...0&tablename=cobce_web&objecttype=0&key=120669
    I am confused about the Plesching vs. Piessnig issue raised on the other website. As you mentioned your family's land was "north of the Danube" and "near Linz," I'm guessing that this town, Pisecna, is too far north of the Danube, and not close at all to Linz, for this to be the right place. Of the other towns/villages, the only thing I could find were a couple of Muhlbach's near Linz (none in the C.R.).

3. jackson22

jackson22 Member

The town of Liepa or Lipa is not correct, and my mistake. The actuall name referenced is Leida. One frustrating thing that we all forget is that the country boundaries have shifted greatly in the past 150 to 200 years. The names posted previously could have been only recognized while Bohemia existed. My ancestors claimed to be Austrian nationals, while living in Czech before 1850. Maybe the borders of Czech once extended south to the Danube? Still looking for answeres. Thanks.