IT jobs and what it's like working in Prague

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by manilaboy, Oct 15, 2004.

1. manilaboy

manilaboy New Member

Hi!

would someone here know what is the salary range of IT jobs.

2. manilaboy

manilaboy New Member

i am trying to get information on what is like to work in prague.

how's the transportation, is it bad? how much do i have to spend per month (public transport)?

how about apartment? what type of apartment should i look for (for single)? how much should i spend for rental fee?

how about food? are there mc donalds wendys or kfc in prague?

sorry for posting a lot of questions, wud appreciate ur reply. thanks!

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

If you buy long-term tickets for public transport, it is about 300 - 400 per month (420 one-month ticeket, 3800 one-year ticket).

Plenty of McDs and KFCs. No Wendys, I fear :)

IT job salary - when you are fresh out of school, you can expect about 20 - 30 kKč per month. Probably better if you have some experience and/or great skills.

4. Emperor

Emperor Member

ya... yay... McD's, the corner stone of North American cuisine. do yourself a favor, and stay away from that garbage and enjoy the food that the Czech Republic provides!!!

5. zaner

zaner Active Member

Dobry den Manilaboy!
    Yes, you'd be doing yourself a big favor to stick with Czech food. I am assuming you are from the Philippines from your nickname. If so, (even if not) you should go to a place next door to Prague Castle called Restaurace Lvi dvur. They serve roast suckling pig there that is very much like lechon. Not only that, but they have the most incredible bread I've ever eaten. Dobrou chuť! :D

6. manilaboy

manilaboy New Member

guys thanks for the info!

i might be moving to prague working as an IT. it's not yet confirmed but just in case.
    im from phillipines, working is singapore since last year and hopefully can work in prague in the early future.

hi halef, wow ur a mod. :oops:
    how abt apartment, for a single like me what shuld i look for? r there rooms for rent in prague? what is the average cost of room for rent?

traffic condition, is it bad? btw in manila traffic is sooooo bad :( but here in singapore their transpo is very comfortable n very efficient :wink:

emperor!
    hahahaha yes i will, it's just that it's the only safe food :mrgreen: i cud think of when in foreign land hehehehe. but definitely wud love to try czech food.

hi zaner!
    have u been to philippines? or just another amazing race fans who have watched last epi of TAR5 hehehe.

7. zaner

zaner Active Member

Kumusta ka, Manilaboy?
    I have been to the Philippines three times as my wife is from there. I have experienced the traffic in Manila :shock: I can say that in my short stay in Prague I never saw anything even close to that bad, but auto traffic does get a bit thick in places. I hope if I am wrong someone will correct me, but it seems to me that you needn't own a car there. They have Metro (subway) as well as Tramway (street cars) and buses and taxis. I walked everywhere I went because I stayed on Wenceslas Square which is in easy walking distance to sites in old and new town as well as the Charles Bridge and Prague Castle. I saw no reason to use public transport because in the old part of town you are face to face with architechtural masterworks which date back as far as the gothic age. It brings on a new dimension to the term "sight-seeing" :eek: I can tell you for sure that their public transportation infrastructure is far superior to Houston, Texas (which is where I live) and probably most of the U.S. The car is king here.
    But about the food, as in the Philippines, pork seems to be a favorite. I wouldn't worry at all about getting good food there. I was there only a week, but I never got bad food. I know it's possible anywhere, but I had only good food experiences there.
    Ingat!

8. Jaya

Jaya New Member

Kumusta Manilaboy?

Sana matuloy ang pagtrabaho mo sa Prague. I haven't had the chance to get to know some Filipinos here, though we've seen a group a month ago. Didn't have the chance to get to know them though. Sayang.

There are a number of McDo and KFCs here. Though, they don't offer rice to go with the fried chicken, unlike in the Phils. But you will get used to it.

9. Hank1949

Hank1949 New Member

Hello all. I'm new here. I'm a retired American living in the US hoping to move abroad in the next couple of years.

This food thing is funny to me. If I move to a country half way around the world, the last thing I would hope to find is an American fast/junk food franchise. I don't understand why any country would want a McDonald's, KFC, Wendy's, Walmart, Starbuck's or any of the other myriad of American chains or franchises. Those are the businesses that have homogonized America and put all the old little distinctive mom and pop stores and main street stores and shops out of business.

So why don't other countries open their own unique food chains or coffee shops? Why give that money to an American business? I just don't get it. I want to move but only to a place I will never see an American fast food franchise or huge department store again. Quality of life suffers believe me because of them.

Hank

10. Usal

Usal Well-Known Member

Hi all, I have just returned from the Czech Republic. Yes there are McDonald's and KFC and even a subway but there are many Czech restaurants along with other ethnic cuisines. Variety is the spice of life and as far as Praha goes it is a great place for variety. Let me say a little about transportation, Prague has one of the best transportation systems I've ever been on. Fast, convenient, clean and you can go anywhere in the city on tram, bus or the underground. I was wondering also about working in Prague. If I can get some information I'd appreciate it. I am a web developer and I can do PC tech support.

Thanks,

Usal

11. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

It's also very cheap - it costs about 3 times less to take a bus or a tram in Praha than it does in Tallinn, while the population difference (and thus the length of transportation lines) is more than 2 times (Praha obviously being the bigger one).

12. To Tall

To Tall Member

1 Food.. Go to a czech restaurant. And I will asure you want never evver any more a burger at Burger King ore MC. pzaa hut ore any other junk food.

2 what do you do in computers.. just wondering, I dont know what to do maybe I went also to czech ore I just need to wait. I am in the networking and repairing of computers also webdesing and phothoshoping.

what is the commen salari of an IT employee and how are the conditions there?