Book Recommendation: Culture Shock! Czech Republic

Talk about Czech customs, traditions, holidays, books, and the Czech way of life.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

brigitte

Postby brigitte » 07-Dec-05 19:39

I'm going to have a look for the new edition in the next few days, give me a break from Christmas stuff!! :wink:
The word gormless. I looked up 'gorm' in the dictionary and it wasn't there........
brook

Postby brook » 30-Dec-05 17:41

Wonderful book! I bought it before I moved to Brno several years ago and I loved it. Right before moving back to the states, I "discovered" it again and had a good laugh. I still had all sorts of misunderstandings while there, but at least I was a little prepared. :)
Adgie

Postby Adgie » 09-Feb-06 11:15

When I was in Prague last October (2005) I purchased a book called “The Czechs in a Nutshell – A User’s Manual for Foreigners” by Terje B. Englund. He is a Norwegian journalist who has been based in Prague since in 1993 and writes on Czech and Slovak affairs. I found it very interesting and two of my Czech friends (one from Opava, one from Studénka) have commented that it gives a very good representation of Czechs and their culture. It also contains references to key historical events in the Czech lands history. Worth a read.

http://www.baset.cz