Karnos & Dolezal

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Xevious, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Xevious

Xevious New Member

I know almost nothing about my great-grandparents, except that they spoke Czech and that their birthplace is listed as Austria (which at the time included the CR, I believe).

I have heard that the Dolezal surname is very common in the CR, much like Jones in the US. However, Karnos (the "s" has a "^" over it, but I don't know how to type that character) would be a "Czech-ification" of an earlier French surname, perhaps Carnoce, so that the Karnos surname would be unique to my family (in theory).

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me anything about these names.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Doležal is as you say a common Czech surname. Karnoš is not one I had heard until now. It definitely does not sound Czech. I did find a handful of people with this surname (or the feminine variant Karnošová) in the Czech white pages http://phone.quick.cz/, two in Prague, one in Příbram (Středočesky region), and two in Ústecký region, so apparently there are some.

3. Xevious

Xevious New Member

Sova, thank you for that information. I have learned that my great-grandfather went to live in Illinois shortly after he "got off the boat". Later, he married my great-grandmother, Anna Oupor (whose nationality I do not know), in Minnesota. Apparently they purchased a farm in Oregon from relatives of Anna's a few years later.

4. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

"oupor/úpor" is a Czech word, OUPOR is a Czech surname, but rather rare (Oupor - 26, Ouporová - 23 times). You have a good chance to find your relatives (Karnoš - 17, Karnošová - 8 times; but Doležal + Doležalová - cca 18000 times in the CR).

5. Xevious

Xevious New Member

Thank you for that info.

6. clintk

clintk New Member

Hey! I'm a Karnos...

Xevious, drop me an email.. clintkarnos at yahoo dot com