A member's questions on Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by My Czech Republic, Mar 4, 2003.

1. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

The following post was originally made by Nikki in another forum and moved here:

Please HELP...
    cannot find a few things on internet...
    Czech Republic nickname, and motto?
    Flag use of colors?
    average size of land area?
    region of continent?
    Would greatly appreciate anyone's help!!!!
    THANKS.........

2. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

The Czech Republic does not have a nickname or an official short version of its title. The full title "Czech Republic" should always be used. Many Americans like to refer to the country as "Czech", which is wrong however because the word "Czech" is an adjective, just like the word "United" in "United States".

We don't have a motto of the type that US states have, like "The Sunshine State" or "The Golden State".

The country is located almost exactly in the center of Europe. The flag uses red, white and blue. You can see the flag and get information on the land area and other facts on our Country Info page.

[This message has been edited by My Czech Republic (edited March 03, 2003).]

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

If you need some statistical information (especially economic or demographic), try the Czech statistical office web page - http://www.czso.cz/eng/angl.htm .

I also think that "Czechia" is the official english short title of the country.

4. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I have just noticed the emergency phone numbers at the Country info page - they are correct, but afaik the new all-Europe number "112" is already valid as well. It can be used for any emergency call, so you do not have to remember separate nubers for police, fire brigade etc.

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Halef, thank you for reminding us about the central emergency number. We have updated the Telecommunications page.

As far as the name Czechia goes, it is used in informal situations but I don't think it is the officially accepted short title of the country. Isn't that correct?

6. brett

brett New Member

About the nickname of the czech republic...Some people and old maps use the word Bohemia and adjective Bohemian.....but its totaly incorrect to call the country like that...you need to know that it is the Czech Republic
    Brett

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

At the present time, Bohemia signifies only a part of the Czech Republic. The country consists of three geographical regions: Bohemia in the west (taking up about two thirds of the country), Moravia in the east, and Silesia in the north-east, along the Polish border.