I'm moving to Prague - what do Czechs think of black people?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by BeBa, Mar 5, 2005.

1. BeBa

BeBa Member

Ahoj!

Im 15 and im a california girl.... but im black. what do czechs think of black people. I know that there are VERY few will it be a shock for them to see one? My step-dad is Czech and he never mentioned racial differencs there so i dont know what to execpt.

Help! :?

2. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Violent attacks are low but you might attract stares from people out of the major cities. There have been reports of abuse and even assaults against darker-skinned & Asian people by neo-nazi skinheads - what ever they are.
    It is very unlikely you will encounter any offensive racist behaivour.
    P.S. why are you moving to Prague?? I assume it is your family not just you, considering you are only 15 years of age.

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

4. Frank_pivo_4

Frank_pivo_4 Well-Known Member

5. BeBa

BeBa Member

Thanks for the info.... im moving because of my step-dads job
    OH and no i dont really listen to rap, i hang around too many white people LOL :)

thanks again for the comments

6. evian

evian Well-Known Member

:shock:
    I can't agree with that! Czech rap is my favourite, I have many great songs from Czech rappers in the Czech language. IMO I think it is better than English language/American rap....
    Jason.

7. Shyamal

Shyamal New Member

I am a dark skinned Bengali guy and I went to the Czech Republic to visit a girl I met in the UK....and I too was concerned about what response we would get. I had a previous experiance of being with a girl in Romania and she received some quite unpleasant comments from locals in Budapest (I didn't hear most of the abuse as it was in Romanian), particularly from young lads. On another occasion, one particular State hotel prevented us from getting a hotel room for the night...and this was attributed to my skin colour. My personal experiance of Romanians was that they were not as friendly and hospitable as reports suggests...and I put this down to the colour of my skin.

Anyway, back to the Czech Republic. I spent most of my time in small villiages and towns where they certainly wouldn't have seen a "dark-skinned" person before....and I am pleased to say that everyone I met was polite, warm and friendly...especially when I made an attempt to speak the language. The fact that I was with a young czech girl didn't seem to bother anyone in the least.

8. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Shyamal: I quote "/In Rumania/one particular State hotel prevented us from getting a hotel room for the night...and this was attributed to my skin colour".

Do not take offence, Shyamal, I would just like to explain what hapenned at that time : It wasn't because of your colour that they didn't let you use the room in hotel, but because they thought that your girlfriend was prostitute. She was local and you were foreigner. In some east-european countries it was so uncommon for white woman to "date" black man (or coloured/ or foreign) that they wouldn't believe that she did it for "free". In your case they didn't even have to ask for your and your girlsfiend's identification card to see that.

9. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

In Budapest people usually speak Hungarian. 8)

10. Shyamal

Shyamal New Member

ok clever clogs, I meant Bucharest!

11. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

You are a lucky dog as we do not learn the English abuse in our schools.

12. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I just returned from a 12 day visit to Praha. One of my traveling companions is black and I'm happy to report (although my friend may need to speak for himself) that I didn't notice any difference in the way any of us were treated anywhere. We all had great times and are looking forward to a return visit. I am even investigating the possibility of buying a flat in Praha.

13. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

glad to hear you had a pleasant trip Glen...you are going to need to set up an s.r.o. to purchase a flat, although I am sure that you already know that.

14. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

yes, I know... thanks for the heads up, though. I'm sure many people aren't aware of the requirement. I had heard, however, that the s.r.o. requirement may change in the near future - will, of course, fully investigate before I make any commitments.

15. hint

hint Member

well, we mostly all believe that the black people (african...) who come here as tourists (or workers, dont know) are well educated and civilized as much as we are, so we actually dont have anything against them and welcome them.

And there are ocassional attacks from the skinheads or how do those asocial lowlifes call themselves. Although when they get drunk they attack even our own sometimes. Nothing to worry much about they learned not to get in the way of tourists.

16. TallElf

TallElf Member

MMM...And I always thought that white suburban kids were the ones buying all the rap music.

17. cavalier_101

cavalier_101 Member

i agree with you what about czechs people think in black

18. cavalier_101

cavalier_101 Member

you should be to listen about rap music //// i perfer for you that ll treat for you ...... :oops:

19. cavalier_101

cavalier_101 Member

i like dating girls white womens ..... really i hope that////////// :roll:

20. cavalier_101

cavalier_101 Member

i like womens hungarin :oops: