summer school course

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by hjardim, Mar 10, 2005.

1. hjardim

hjardim New Member

hello there,

hi im living in england at moment and im thinking about goin to czech to do a summer course. the length of the course is something around 30 days, where i would be studying around 7 hours czech language every day. what i would like to know is, if there is anybody here who attended to this kind of course and what do u think about it?! is it good?! do u really think i can get any advantage?! what level do u reckon my czech is goin to be when i leave(from the scratch) please write ur personal opinion.

thanks in advance.

harold.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

3. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

Hey Harold,

Which course are you thinking of attending? There are at least two that I know of in Praha, one in Brno and one in Plzeň. I'm hoping to get scholarship from the ministry of education for the one in Brno for this summer. Let me know if you need any information, I think I still have links to information about the courses stacked up somewhere at work.

As for how useful it would be, I think it very much depends on how much you want or manage to learn before going there. If you've got the basics before showing up for the course, chances are that it will prove to be more useful.

regards
    Henrik

4. hjardim

hjardim New Member

Ahoj!

The course I intend to attend is one that will be held at Palacky University in Olomouc. It's a summer course where it will start in july. Here is the link with all informations, Summer School of Slavonic Languages.
    Well I totally understand what you mean uuspoiss. I believe I can say my level in Czech is basic. I've been learning through the Pimsleur method which I think you at least heard about it and I have practicing with my girlfriend that is from Czech and my house mate who is from Czech as well. At the present moment I won't starve if I get lost on the Czech streets for some reason! :0)
    Anyways, please if you have time to have a read through and tell me your opinion I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance,

Harold.

PS: Thank you Dana!

5. uuspoiss

Hey,

The course in Olomouc seems to be just like the other ones in terms of the programme, conditions etc. I haven't read any reviews or anything about the level of the different courses, so I wouldn't know how to compare them. I have heard from one person who has attended the Brno Masaryk University course and one who went to the Charles University in Praha, and they were both very satisfied with their respective courses.

I think if you have the basics and the opportunity to practise and then add 7 hours of classes for a month, you should become fairly proficient:) One thing that I noticed is that the programme in Olomouc also includes some Russian classes (probably optional). If you don't already know any Russian, it might be interesting to take those just to get a comparison. I haven't heard of any of the other summer schools offering Russian in addition.

regards
    Henrik

6. hjardim

hjardim New Member

Hi!

Henrik I see your point and thanks for that!
    I've been looking for intensive Czech language courses and one that attracted my attention was this one that will be held in Prague on september at Charles University as you mentioned before. It's about 10 months length and seems to be much more intersting than the previous one. Well I have to make up my mind! I really wanna go for it.
    Anyway thank you very much for your help, time and attention.

Harold.

7. uuspoiss

Well the courses come in various durations. Some are listed here:
    http://www.ujop.cuni.cz/index.php?lang=en&page=kursy_cestiny_cizinci

One university also had two-week intensive courses twice a year, but I don't remember which one and unfortunately cannot find it now.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you go for. And if you attend any courses, let the rest of us know how they are:)

Henrik

8. Silatsiaq

Silatsiaq Member

Hi!

I have a question about that topic too...

A friend of mine is interessted in going to Czech Republic and taking a language course... She would prefer a course combined with a stay in a family... I know there are many of such course for Spanish, for example, but I haven't heard about one for Czech language, in Czech Republic...

Can somebody help me?

Thanks a lot

9. uuspoiss

Most universities will give you a significantly reduced price for the summer courses if you don't need accommodation and board. Then you'll just have to find a family that would agree to take you in for the time:)

10. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

oh ye, a real bargain at 3,400 EUR ! What a rip off....

11. uuspoiss

At 25 lessons per week, it's about 3.40 EUR or 100 Kč per lesson. Not blindingly cheap, but much cheaper still than most of the summer courses etc.