Gift Exchange Customs

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Fate83, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Fate83

Fate83 Member

As a visitor to the country, would you exchange gifts at the first meeting?

What gifts are considered appropriate?

If flowers, what kind? (Some have special meanings.)

Thank you in advance for your help. :D

2. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Be careful with flowers, always make it an odd number. Even number of flowers are often only associated with mournful occasions i.e. funerals.

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

You can bring a bottle of some spirit or liquor. Preferably something unusual, rare, or typical for where you come from.

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Flowers no longer have special meaning as they had in the past. Let the florist make an arrangement, they usually know what's appropriate for the occasion. The only flower I wouldn't offer is chrystantemum. They usually decorate the cemetery during All Saints Day.

5. Paint

Paint Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA which is known for beer... and the state in general is known for cheese and sausage. Haha I even found an old copy of Avant Guide: Prague that said in one chapter, "Pretend that you are in Wisconsin." Perhaps the family I'm staying with in Prague would appreciate some artwork I have made? Then again... I work in ceramics and glass...

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Yes, it could be good idea.... They are not much info interior decorating (as of coordinating colours, furniture etc.) but keep and display things from their trips, decorative gifts from friends etc.