Christmas Cookie Recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by lovely, Nov 6, 2003.

1. lovely

lovely New Member

I have some Czech friends that I would like to make Christmas Cookies for, could someone please send me some recipes? Thanks! (Would like recipes that will remind them of home, cookies they may have grown up with as part of their Christmas traditions in their country.)

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I can send you as many recipes as you want, but I am not sure about the weight system - would you prefer U.S. or metric? There might also be a problem with the traditional shapes - you would need some molds (like tiny muffins) and cutters, if you want to make real Czech Christmas pastry. But I am sure your Czech friends will appreciate it anyway.
    Well, here is the first one, probably the most common one and loved by everybody.
    Vaniilkove rohlicky - vanilla crescent-shaped rolls
    210 g flour, 140 g unsalted butter, 70 g confectioner's sugar, 100 g ground hazelnuts, 1/2 tsp vanilla. Work all ingrediences together, wrap the pastry in a foil and store in the fridge (at least overnight, but it can be stored for several days). Usually, we start Christmas baking with fixing all kinds of pastry ahead and then process and bake individual kinds for several days (or nights).
    The next day, take the pastry out of the fridge, let it stand for half an hour, then cut into pieces (approximate size and shape - your little finger), turn the ends to form a C letter and bake on a sheet lined with baking paper (350 F, about 10-12 min, till the surface is firm and the rolls just start changing color from pale to rosy). Roll hot cookies in confectioner's sugar mixed with vanilla and store in a container. They should be fixed at least ten days ahead.
    Please feel free to ask about anything concerning cooking and baking. I tried my best, but I think I am better at doing it than describing the preparation, esp. in English.

3. lovely

lovely New Member

Thank you SO much! U.S. measure would be best if you can as my metric abilities are rather deplorable, lol. Do you have one that has pecan halves on top? Also something like a rum ball? It has coconut with rum inside. Would LOVE to have three or 4 recipes. I really appreciate your help!! Thanks! Merri Needler