Course Flour - Dumplings

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Joss, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Joss

Joss Active Member

Hi

I thought I would pass on my experience of the total lack of course flour in the UK. It has taken me a year of looking to find out how to overcome it. The course flour used in the Czech Republic is known here as half milled or Semolina Flour. In the UK this is only used for making semolina pudding and is kept with pudding rice and stuff like that not with the flour! I have tried several brands and the one that is closest to Czech course flour is Whitworths available from Tesco, the others are too course like fine couscous. Anyone out there who has tried to make a decent Knedlik with English fine flour knows what a disaster it is. I hope this is of use to those in need and to those of you who knew - WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME!!! :)

2. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi Joss,

do you mean coArse flour?

Jirka

3. Joss

Joss Active Member

Yeah thanks Jirka - I can't spell!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jirka:
    <B>Hi Joss,

do you mean coArse flour?

Jirka</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Ahoj Joss, in jolly SE UK

Does Tesco or any other huge outfit out there have WONDRA flour?

It comes in a carboard-like canister and has coarse flour inside.. good for making babovka and the like.. knedliky included!

Cheers,
    Jana

5. MikeStribrny

MikeStribrny Member

Hi Jirka,

I believe that the 'do' is supposed to have a capital D.

- Mike

6. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I've posted a couple of times about an Eastern European store near me, and they have quite a few different flours, I'll pop up in the next few days and have a list. There is a fair bit of Polish stuff there, as I brought home a few things yesterday.

7. Sílený Jízda

Sílený Jízda Active Member

Here in the Us there is a great lack of it as well. We usually have anyone coming to visit bring us enough to tide us through untill the next person visits. Then the stuff we have we treat like gold.

8. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what is 'compressed yeast'? I am going to be making some dumplings and would like to try fresh yeast obviously, but in the Czech recipe book it says compressed yeast. Is this the American term for normal dried yeast? There is no explanation in the book! If it is i can go ahead and get some.

Also is suet ever used in Czech dumplings? There is an English fruit dumpling recipe using suet, but wondered if suet is everis used in CR. Just out of curiosity - I'm going to be doing quite a few things out of that book for Christmas to make a change from the normal stuff I cook, and may well cook both!

Only difference I think is that the UK recipe is going to be more fattening with suet!