What exactly does it mean to be European...

Post messages related to Central and Eastern European countries other than the Czech Republic.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, My Czech Republic

nebe_je_zde

Postby nebe_je_zde » 06-Apr-06 19:48

player1 wrote:but as i said before, having travelled around europe a lot, i have NEVER met ANYONE who described themselves as european - if you have, fair enough.

well, I met such people - Turks who got German citizenship :lol:
...nesnesitelna lehkost byti...
capponilos

Postby capponilos » 26-May-06 7:46

Ceit wrote:Actually, we North Americans consider Mexico to be geographically part of North America. In fact, North America ends with Panama. South Americans claim Mexico as their own, since culturally it is all Latin America, but whenever I've heard any Colombian, Chilean or Argentinian say it, nearby Mexicans harrumph and take offense. :lol:

I don't want to start again, but... we, in Argentina, are tought that Mexico is in CENTRAL AMERICA, nor South, nor North... So... BEEEEP, you're wrong.
Last edited by capponilos on 26-May-06 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Ceit

Postby Ceit » 26-May-06 11:09

capponilos wrote:I don't want to start again, but... we, in Argentina, are tought that Mexico is in CENTRAL AMERICA, nor South, nor North... So... BEEEEP, you're wrong.

For North Americans, Central America is a region, not a continent, and that region forms part of the continent of North America. So...BEEEEP, you're wrong.

Ooooh! I just told a bonairense they were wrong!! :shock: :lol: :wink:
"Well, there's one thing to be said for money. It can make you rich."
capponilos

Postby capponilos » 26-May-06 11:29

Ceit wrote:For North Americans, Central America is a region, not a continent, and that region forms part of the continent of North America. So...BEEEEP, you're wrong.

Oh, ok, I see... I guess I can't say anything to that. We have different theory :roll: .

Ceit wrote:
Ooooh! I just told a bonairense they were wrong!! :shock: :lol: :wink:

Yes, and you are in troubles.... muhehe :twisted:

Mlask
www.danielachrastil.com / Learn Spanish in the CR
Qcumber

Postby Qcumber » 14-Sep-06 1:20

For me a European is a white non-practicing Christian, very sceptical about religions, economic theories, US politics, worried about the Muslim masse immigration, worried about delocalization of our industries in non-European countries, worried about free trade, pleased to be what we are, and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures.
Qcumber
wer

Postby wer » 15-Sep-06 1:27

My rusults in Qcumber's Test of Europeanship:

white Image

non-practicing Christian Image (no Christian at all)

sceptical about religions Image

sceptical about economic theories Image

sceptical about US politics Image (at least in comparison with the French or German one)

worried about the Muslim masse immigration Image

worried about delocalization of our industries in non-European countries Image (I'm not worried about results of European laziness, I'm worried about European laziness)

worried about free trade Image

pleased to be what we are Image

and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures. Image (no reason to be proud but I accept it as fact)

:roll: :roll: So, am I European :?: :?:
Qcumber

Postby Qcumber » 15-Sep-06 12:23

:) Of course every European has their own view on being a European. I was just giving mine.
Qcumber

Postby Qcumber » 15-Sep-06 12:29

wer wrote:and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures.
(no reason to be proud but I accept it as fact)

Do you mean you'd prefer a unified European culture: everywhere the same architecture, the same music, the same customs, the same cuisine?
Qcumber
wer

Postby wer » 15-Sep-06 15:48

Qcumber wrote:Do you mean you'd prefer a unified European culture: everywhere the same architecture, the same music, the same customs, the same cuisine?

No, I like diverse Europe but I see no reason to be proud - we can't claim credits for it.
eso

Postby eso » 15-Sep-06 16:25

wer wrote:No, I like diverse Europe but I see no reason to be proud - we can't claim credits for it.

Well, I suppose that, maybe, if I'm tolerant to diversity, then I help to support it and therefore I can claim little bit of pride for it :)