My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

 Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

What exactly does it mean to be European...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Central & Eastern Europe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nebe_je_zde
Member


Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Posts: 14

PostPosted: 06-Apr-06 17:48  Reply with quote

player1 wrote:

but as i said before, having travelled around europe a lot, i have NEVER met ANYONE who described themselves as european - if you have, fair enough.

well, I met such people - Turks who got German citizenship Laughing
_________________
...nesnesitelna lehkost byti...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capponilos
Member


Joined: 26 May 2006
Posts: 12
Location: ústí nad labem

PostPosted: 26-May-06 5:46  Reply with quote

Ceit wrote:

Actually, we North Americans consider Mexico to be geographically part of North America. In fact, North America ends with Panama. South Americans claim Mexico as their own, since culturally it is all Latin America, but whenever I've heard any Colombian, Chilean or Argentinian say it, nearby Mexicans harrumph and take offense. Laughing


I don't want to start again, but... we, in Argentina, are tought that Mexico is in CENTRAL AMERICA, nor South, nor North... So... BEEEEP, you're wrong.


Last edited by capponilos on 26-May-06 9:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ceit
Senior Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2005
Posts: 185

PostPosted: 26-May-06 9:09  Reply with quote

capponilos wrote:

I don't want to start again, but... we, in Argentina, are tought that Mexico is in CENTRAL AMERICA, nor South, nor North... So... BEEEEP, you're wrong.


For North Americans, Central America is a region, not a continent, and that region forms part of the continent of North America. So...BEEEEP, you're wrong.

Ooooh! I just told a bonairense they were wrong!! Shocked Laughing Wink
_________________
"Well, there's one thing to be said for money. It can make you rich."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
capponilos
Member


Joined: 26 May 2006
Posts: 12
Location: ústí nad labem

PostPosted: 26-May-06 9:29  Reply with quote

Ceit wrote:
For North Americans, Central America is a region, not a continent, and that region forms part of the continent of North America. So...BEEEEP, you're wrong.


Oh, ok, I see... I guess I can't say anything to that. We have different theory Rolling Eyes .

Ceit wrote:


Ooooh! I just told a bonairense they were wrong!! Shocked Laughing Wink


Yes, and you are in troubles.... muhehe Twisted Evil

Mlask
_________________
www.danielachrastil.com / Learn Spanish in the CR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Qcumber
Senior Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 402
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: 13-Sep-06 23:20  Reply with quote

For me a European is a white non-practicing Christian, very sceptical about religions, economic theories, US politics, worried about the Muslim masse immigration, worried about delocalization of our industries in non-European countries, worried about free trade, pleased to be what we are, and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures.
_________________
Qcumber
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wer
Senior Member


Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 1700
Location: East Bohemia

PostPosted: 14-Sep-06 23:27  Reply with quote

My rusults in Qcumber's Test of Europeanship:

white

non-practicing Christian (no Christian at all)

sceptical about religions

sceptical about economic theories

sceptical about US politics (at least in comparison with the French or German one)

worried about the Muslim masse immigration

worried about delocalization of our industries in non-European countries (I'm not worried about results of European laziness, I'm worried about European laziness)

worried about free trade

pleased to be what we are

and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures. (no reason to be proud but I accept it as fact)

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes So, am I European Question Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Qcumber
Senior Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 402
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: 15-Sep-06 10:23  Reply with quote

Smile Of course every European has their own view on being a European. I was just giving mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Qcumber
Senior Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2005
Posts: 402
Location: Paris, France

PostPosted: 15-Sep-06 10:29  Reply with quote

wer wrote:

and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures.
(no reason to be proud but I accept it as fact)


Do you mean you'd prefer a unified European culture: everywhere the same architecture, the same music, the same customs, the same cuisine?
_________________
Qcumber
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wer
Senior Member


Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 1700
Location: East Bohemia

PostPosted: 15-Sep-06 13:48  Reply with quote

Qcumber wrote:
Do you mean you'd prefer a unified European culture: everywhere the same architecture, the same music, the same customs, the same cuisine?

No, I like diverse Europe but I see no reason to be proud - we can't claim credits for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eso
Senior Member


Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Posts: 1717
Location: Kladno/Prague

PostPosted: 15-Sep-06 14:25  Reply with quote

wer wrote:
No, I like diverse Europe but I see no reason to be proud - we can't claim credits for it.


Well, I suppose that, maybe, if I'm tolerant to diversity, then I help to support it and therefore I can claim little bit of pride for it Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Central & Eastern Europe All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
    RSS Help

Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 Local Lingo s.r.o.