Character Language Code

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Scarlett, May 20, 2002.

1. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

Does anyone know the code to type the letter c with the v on top...like alt0154 makes the š? Thanks.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

To be able to type the Czech characters, you can simply add the Czech character set to your keyboard by following these instructions (for PC):

Click on Start (bottom left corner of your screen), then choose Settings - Control Panel - Keyboard - Language - Add..., choose Czech and click OK.

You will then be able to switch between your regular and Czech keyboard character set whenever you need to (e.g. by pressing Shift and Alt at the same time). On the Czech keyboard, the characters with "carka" and "hacek" are located in the top row of keys that are used for typing numbers (above QUERTY). To type numbers on a Czech keyboard, use the same keys but press Shift first.

To type a CAPITAL letter with a carka or hacek above it, do the following on your Czech keyboard:

Carka (line above the letter)
    1. press the +/= key (next to the Backspace key in the upper right on your keyboard)
    2. hold Shift and press the letter key

Hacek ("v" above the letter)
    1. hold Shift and press the +/= key
    2. hold Shift and press the letter key

3. maartenv

maartenv Well-Known Member

Your keyboard and language settings are two seperate things, but they make a combination.

If you choose to add the Czech language as a second language on your keyboard, it's only part of a good solution to my view.

I reccommend to add a Czech Keyboard layout, with the Czech language installed in combination. The main difference between the CZ and US keyboard layout is the reversal of the letters Z and Y, and the changes under the numbers. Also some other keys's have changed.

If you go to <START> and then <RUN> in your Windows, you can then type the command OSK. This gives you the ON SCREEN KEYBOARD. (mainly there for people who can not use a keyboard) There you can use the mouse to click the Czech charakters, and you can also see the keyboard layout. (and what changes while having <CAPS> or the <SHIFT> key active.)

Switching between the two keyboard and language settings can be easily done by pressing : <ALT> and <SHIFT>

[​IMG]

4. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I thank you belatedly for your help. I haven't been on this site for quite some time. :oops:

5. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Welcome back. My initial thought when I saw how long it was since this exchange, was that Dana hasn't aged at all. Then I remembered that the photo changes on all the past postings as well! Would that life was like that...

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

You're welcome Scarlett. I hope you can still use the responses! :)

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

On the czech keyboard there is no small ď, ť, ň, ó so use similar combinations of "háček" (Shift +/=) or "čárka" (+/=) and small letter.

8. Scarlett

Scarlett Member

I have a couple friends in Praha and one of them translates my letters to a cousin who lives in Kutná Hora. I then just print out the notes and mail.

For my genealogy data, I have used copy and paste for some names that I haven't found an easy code for. The capital S with a hacek for instance.

I do have the Czech and some other language I can switch to on the keyboard. I know the number row does it's magic but don't know that the capital S with hacek is there...I haven't checked it lately but don't remember it there.

I saw the note from the person from London...I would love to spend a year or so in Praha and Kutná Hora and try to learn the language but that isn't going to happen at my age and stage in life. I spent 3 weeks with my 2nd cousin who speaks no English and we mainly talked with my few Czech words and signing and pointing and laughing... :D It was frustrating as I had tons of questions. We did see a lot of the country while there. Some of it reminded me of Minnesota lands. Other parts were like the state of Washington west of the mountains and in our mountains.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Š = [keydown] shift, [push] "+= key", [push] "s key", [keyup] shift

Similar with Ň,Ď,Ť,Ř,Č,Ě,Ž, slovak Ľ

Ú = [push] "+= key", [keydown] shift, [push] "u key", [keyup] shift

Similar with Á,É,Í,Ó,Ý in other slavic languages Ń,Ĺ,Ź

Hint for czechs as well:

Ů = [keydown] shift, [push] "~` key", [push] "u key", [keyup] shift

Note: "~`" - the leftmost key in second row, between ESC and TAB

10. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

If you want occasionally to include some texts in a different alphabet into your document, you can use the following site:

http://www.lexilogos.com/clavier

Example:
    China 中国 Čína Китай (all words written on the English keyboard and by using the mouse)

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

You can also get the capitals of all the Czech letters with diacriticals by setting the caps lock and pressing the key sequence for the lowercase letter. Of course, you'll need to disengage the caps lock afterwards.

Ex. <Caps Lock> 3 <Caps Lock> = Š.

12. Tagarela

Tagarela Well-Known Member

Ahoj,

I also have been trying to make my keyboard type some acents and háčik but I never get it. For this purpose I have to enter in http://czech.typeit.org/ type the text there and then copy and paste to where I'm writing.

I change my keyboard option from Portuguese to Czech but it does not work. And I also have tried it in another computer. So, I would thank you very much if anyone knows an easier way to type Czech letters else than writing in typeit.org and copy-past, althought it is not a very problem at the moment since I'm only a very begginer in Czech and cannot write very much in this language.

Děkuju vám za pomoc

Na shledanou.: