How to say "I have a nut allergy"?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by The House, Nov 18, 2005.

1. The House

The House New Member

Hi
    First of all, what a great forum this is. I've found much useful information posted while looking for the above translation. Very helpful, thanks!

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but after a look through everything I couldn't find the answer. My partner has an anaphylactic nut allergy. Consequently, it is important for us to check certain foods for nuts. Could someone tell me the translation for the very useful questions:

"does this have nuts in it, please?"

"I have a nut allergy" (for use in restaurents as well as, in the worst case, a hospital)

Also useful would be the type of responses we would expect to hear from those questions! I would also be very grateful for any general advice on food.

Many thanks
    Nathan

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

"does this have nuts in it, please?" = "Obsahuje to prosím (nějaké) ořechy?"

"I have a nut allergy" = "Mám alergii na ořechy."

Word "ořech" means dry fruit with hard shell (walnut, hazelnut, coconut, brazil nut,...). Peanut (burský oříšek, burák, arašíd) is not formally included (it is not fruit) but it is included in colloquial speech. Also chestnut (kaštan) is not accepted to be "ořech".

Maybe, there could be some problem with meaning of the word nut, please specify it if you think it is necessary.

3. The House

The House New Member

This is excellent. Thank you very much (you could even be a life-saver) :)