How to make Pivni Polevka smooth?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by gypzy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Hello Foodies and Anti-Foodies

When i've tried to make Pivni Polevka the cream seperates! I beat in the eggs w/ the cream then I beat the mixture into the soup, like the recipe asks. Does anyone know how to mix the cream in to be smooth? Especially on leftovers, it seems to be more curdled when I reheat it.

Thank you. By 4 Now.

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

It is eggs which curdled in your soup. You cannot do anything about it, but take hand held blender to it and mix it right in the pot. It will connect. The next time, don't finish soup fully, complete only what you will eat at the one time. You can put rest in the freezer and finish it next time.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Try blending some of the hot soup into the egg and cream mixture before you pour all of it into the rest of the soup. This will "temper" the egg and cream mixture and reduce or eliminate any curdling. This is a standard technique for mixing hot and cold ingredients.
    Hope it helps.

4. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Hello helpful cooks :D

GlennInFlorida is right about adding some of the soup into the cream mix before pouring it all together. It's is "common sense/hinsight is 20/20" after I read your post I wish I remembered this. It ened up very creamy and well blended even w/ leftovers, yay! Through some experimentation I found the best way to make this soup use dark beer that's not to bitter and add no more than 2 cups of 'kraut juice.

Thank you for your help
    By 4 now

5. GlennInFlorida

Glad it worked for you. Would you post or forward your "revised" recipe for beer soup? I'd like to give it a shot myself (if you'll pardon the pun).

6. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I would be glad to post the "revised" addition and I will also post the original, from the Bohemian-American Cookbook by Marie Rosicky, publisher National Printing Company. Even though no one asked for the name of the cookbook it has such good recipes that I would advise people to look for one while antique shopping 8) . The first, possibly second printing, are in Czech. Anyhew, before I get too off track here's the recipe.

BEER SOUP #1
    Pivni Polevka

1 quart beer (appr. 2 1/2 bottles or 4 cups)
    one quart water
    2 tbls sugar
    1 teas butter
    pinch of nutmeg
    3 egg yolks
    cup of cream or milk
    parenthesis are my additions

Boil beer (prefer creamy dark beer) w/ water (rev. use as much 'kraut juice, no more than 2 cups, to taste, the rest water). When it begins to boil, add sugar and butter and nutmeg. Beat yolks w/ cream (condensed milk unsweetened, works great). (Add some soup into cream mixture), then add to boiling soup, beat thoroughly so it will not curdle. Serve when it begins to boil.
    Side note: Onions and mushrooms sauteed in lard or butter taste really great added to finished soup. Or boiled meat. Serve w/ homemade rye or wheat bread.

For a laugh if anyone is interested, there are funny old fahioned "hints to the house wife" using mace, kerosene and chloroform and other such chemicals for cleaning and ldy etc. :lol: I can post those if you are interested.

By 4 Now :D

7. GlennInFlorida

Thanks so much! I will make some this weekend - some hot soup would be nice. It is the middle of winter here, only getting up to 70 (21C) today :wink: .

8. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Ha! Ha! That is FUNNY FUNNY. I WISH I could laugh but my face is frozen and my lips are chapped. I'll send you some snow :twisted: ! Half the people in Michigan will be glad to help me load the dump trunks and send it :lol: !

Let me know how the soup turns out. If you put in your own additions please post them. I would be glad to try it a new way.

P.S. Just kidding about the snow :twisted: . Although, if you have too much sunshine I'd be glad to take some off your hands 8) .

By 4 Now :)

9. GlennInFlorida

I will let you know how the soup turns out - BTW, just so everyone in cold weather doesn't feel too bad about the temperature here, I should mention that yesterday was the 4th largest single daily rainfall in the past 100 years that we have experienced - and more on the way today. Very wet outside (some of my friends call it "liquid sunshine" - I think they're nuts) but should be cleared up by Sunday. There have been roof collapses, street and home flooding, and major delays at our airport. So, it is warm but not very convenient right now. Wouldn't mind seeing some snow - Ive only seen it about six times in my life.