My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Funny Pictures, Jokes, etc.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladis

PostPosted: 27-Jan-06 13:04  Reply with quote

I founded this thread for all funny stuff you find on internet and it's something related to MyCR / Czech language etc Smile (better than to create a thread for every such single thing):

Bad character coding on postcard Smile

Don't copy a text without thinking Wink

(It should be probably "Malé Náměstí 2".)
evian

PostPosted: 27-Jan-06 13:32  Reply with quote

Ladis wrote:
I founded this thread for all funny stuff you find on internet and it's something related to MyCR / Czech language etc Smile (better than to create a thread for every such single thing):

Bad character coding on postcard Smile

Don't copy a text without thinking Wink

(It should be probably "Malé Náměstí 2".)

gementricxs

PostPosted: 27-Jan-06 19:15  Reply with quote

Wow, ladis, that's a great picture!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brook

PostPosted: 27-Jan-06 20:42  Reply with quote

Wow!

Okay, while it's not really a found item, it is what my friends and I call "found dialogue" and I thought this would be an appropriate place for this...

Speaking to a coworker recently... He heard that I was leaving this summer and asked where I was going. When I told him the Czech Republic, he asked me if that was in Africa. Africa!! He wasn't kidding either... Most people I've talked to, while they may not be familiar with the Czech Republic, at least know that it is in Europe, but Africa??? Shocked
Ladis

PostPosted: 27-Jan-06 22:06  Reply with quote

Yes, I heard a lot of people think CR is in Africa. Maybe due to "Republic" in its name (it can sound like "banana republic" Laughing). BTW e.g. France is also a republic - its official name is "French Republic" (see the Wikipedia info). However other countries have also their "short" names, but CR doesn't Sad - resp. here's more info about it from Wikipedia:

wikipedia.org wrote:
The Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993 announced that the name Czechia is to be used in all situations other than formal official documents and the full names of government institutions [1], [2], but this has not caught on in English usage.
evian

PostPosted: 28-Jan-06 0:11  Reply with quote

Ladis wrote:
Yes, I heard a lot of people think CR is in Africa. Maybe due to "Republic" in its name (it can sound like "banana republic" Laughing). BTW e.g. France is also a republic - its official name is "French Republic" (see the Wikipedia info). However other countries have also their "short" names, but CR doesn't Sad - resp. here's more info about it from Wikipedia:

wikipedia.org wrote:
The Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993 announced that the name Czechia is to be used in all situations other than formal official documents and the full names of government institutions [1], [2], but this has not caught on in English usage.

I think maybe because Czechia sounds a lot like Chechnya, so to avoid unwanted confusion, people opted not to use it. A lot of people here still refer to CR as Czechoslovakia rather than its correct name.
GlennInFlorida

PostPosted: 28-Jan-06 2:47  Reply with quote

a lot of people here refer to the CR as Czechoslovakia because they don't know any better - they don't really pay much attention to the rest of the world.

Last edited by GlennInFlorida on 28-Jan-06 13:35; edited 1 time in total
Ceit

PostPosted: 28-Jan-06 12:31  Reply with quote

I think Czechia is a perfectly logical short form, and I don't understand why nobody uses it...sometimes I do and people who are not geographers, linguists, or, in fact, intelligent in any way smirk at me and say, "That's not a country's name!" Idiots. I also think usonian is a more accurate adjective for something from the United States, but nobody agrees with me on that either.

The band Black 47 has a song called "Czechoslovakia" - the fifth song under "Green Suede Shoes". It's funny that it's called that and mentions communists, since the album it's on came out in '96. Maybe the song was written before that though. Unfortunately, it's not one of the sample songs on their site, so you can only read the words. But trust me, it's a catchy tune.
Kanadanka

PostPosted: 28-Jan-06 17:27  Reply with quote

In my neck-of-the-woods, people either say "Czech" for the country, or "Czechlands" . I don't like the sound of "Czech" - semehow it sounds very abrupt, and that's what we call the citizens of the country, so it's confusing. I do like "Czechlands", though.
brook

PostPosted: 28-Jan-06 20:04  Reply with quote

Now this is funny... from bohemica.com...What happens when you translate czech idioms literally...

http://www.bohemica.com/czechupdate/2005/funny-idioms/

(by the way, I was happy to see your reference to The Princess Bride, Ceit (in your signature)!! I love that movie!) Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Miscellaneous (Czech-Related) All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: