Funny Pictures, Jokes, etc.

If your post does not fit into any of the forums above, this is where it should go.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana, My Czech Republic

Ladis

Funny Pictures, Jokes, etc.

Postby Ladis » 27-Jan-06 14:04

I founded this thread for all funny stuff you find on internet and it's something related to MyCR / Czech language etc :) (better than to create a thread for every such single thing):

Bad character coding on postcard :-)

Don't copy a text without thinking ;)

(It should be probably "Malé Náměstí 2".)
evian

Postby evian » 27-Jan-06 14:32

Ladis wrote:I founded this thread for all funny stuff you find on internet and it's something related to MyCR / Czech language etc :) (better than to create a thread for every such single thing):

Bad character coding on postcard :-)

Don't copy a text without thinking ;)

(It should be probably "Malé Náměstí 2".)

gementricxs

Postby gementricxs » 27-Jan-06 20:15

Wow, ladis, that's a great picture!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
brook

Postby brook » 27-Jan-06 21:42

Wow!

Okay, while it's not really a found item, it is what my friends and I call "found dialogue" and I thought this would be an appropriate place for this...

Speaking to a coworker recently... He heard that I was leaving this summer and asked where I was going. When I told him the Czech Republic, he asked me if that was in Africa. Africa!! He wasn't kidding either... Most people I've talked to, while they may not be familiar with the Czech Republic, at least know that it is in Europe, but Africa??? :shock:
Ladis

Postby Ladis » 27-Jan-06 23:06

Yes, I heard a lot of people think CR is in Africa. Maybe due to "Republic" in its name (it can sound like "banana republic" :lol:). BTW e.g. France is also a republic - its official name is "French Republic" (see the Wikipedia info). However other countries have also their "short" names, but CR doesn't :( - resp. here's more info about it from Wikipedia:

wikipedia.org wrote:The Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993 announced that the name Czechia is to be used in all situations other than formal official documents and the full names of government institutions [1], [2], but this has not caught on in English usage.
evian

Postby evian » 28-Jan-06 1:11

Ladis wrote:Yes, I heard a lot of people think CR is in Africa. Maybe due to "Republic" in its name (it can sound like "banana republic" :lol:). BTW e.g. France is also a republic - its official name is "French Republic" (see the Wikipedia info). However other countries have also their "short" names, but CR doesn't :( - resp. here's more info about it from Wikipedia:

wikipedia.org wrote:The Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1993 announced that the name Czechia is to be used in all situations other than formal official documents and the full names of government institutions [1], [2], but this has not caught on in English usage.

I think maybe because Czechia sounds a lot like Chechnya, so to avoid unwanted confusion, people opted not to use it. A lot of people here still refer to CR as Czechoslovakia rather than its correct name.
GlennInFlorida

Postby GlennInFlorida » 28-Jan-06 3:47

a lot of people here refer to the CR as Czechoslovakia because they don't know any better - they don't really pay much attention to the rest of the world.
Last edited by GlennInFlorida on 28-Jan-06 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Ceit

Postby Ceit » 28-Jan-06 13:31

I think Czechia is a perfectly logical short form, and I don't understand why nobody uses it...sometimes I do and people who are not geographers, linguists, or, in fact, intelligent in any way smirk at me and say, "That's not a country's name!" Idiots. I also think usonian is a more accurate adjective for something from the United States, but nobody agrees with me on that either.

The band Black 47 has a song called "Czechoslovakia" - the fifth song under "Green Suede Shoes". It's funny that it's called that and mentions communists, since the album it's on came out in '96. Maybe the song was written before that though. Unfortunately, it's not one of the sample songs on their site, so you can only read the words. But trust me, it's a catchy tune.
"Well, there's one thing to be said for money. It can make you rich."
Kanadanka

Postby Kanadanka » 28-Jan-06 18:27

In my neck-of-the-woods, people either say "Czech" for the country, or "Czechlands" . I don't like the sound of "Czech" - semehow it sounds very abrupt, and that's what we call the citizens of the country, so it's confusing. I do like "Czechlands", though.
When a hammer is your only tool, every problem looks like a nail
brook

Postby brook » 28-Jan-06 21:04

Now this is funny... from bohemica.com...What happens when you translate czech idioms literally...

http://www.bohemica.com/czechupdate/2005/funny-idioms/

(by the way, I was happy to see your reference to The Princess Bride, Ceit (in your signature)!! I love that movie!) :D