Hello from Tampa, Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Douglas, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm an American and live in sunny/ warm Tampa with my beautiful wife and 2 year old son.

My wife was born and raised in Czech (Marianske Lazne) and moved here about 8 years ago.

I've only been to Czech one time so far (visiting Marianke Lasne, Karlovy Vary, Plzen and Prague) but I really enjoyed myself and can't wait to get back. Thankfully my wife and I are planning for an extended vacation (4-6 weeks) there in early fall and I hope to be able to see alot more of the country.

My only hope is that I can improve on my pitifully weak grasp of basic Czech! It should be easier to learn with a Czech speaking wife but I can't seem to pick it up.

Ah well, I will keep trying and maybe tuning into this forum will help give me inspiration.

Douglas

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Hi Douglas,

Welcome to the forum from one Tampan to another (I was born and raised here)! You will find lots of great info here (take a look at the language tab at the top of the page) and lots of interesting discussions. Everyone who participates seems friendly and helpful although a few do have contrary opinions (keeps it lively). I have a number of Czech language resources that might be of interest to you - the one thing I do not have is anyone to speak Czech to. I have been to Praha and Plzen' twice now and am going back in October - what an amazing country (I hope to someday retire there although some folks there ask me why I would want to leave "paradise" after seeing pictures of the Tampa Bay area).

Enjoy myCzechRepublic! :D

3. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the welcome. It is a little odd to run into someone who is actually a native of Tampa! :D I'd say that maybe 1/20th of the people I know here are actually native born (I was born and raised in Denver, Co.).

I am always on the lookout for authentic Czech 'things' around Tampa but have found very few :( . There was a Czech restaurant in Dunedin for awhile but it went out of business before my wife and I had a chance to try it. There is a small Czech/Polish deli in Clearwater but I wasn't too impressed and it was mainly focused on Polish goods/customers (due to the larger Polish community that is here).

Anyway, let me know if there are any Czech oriented Restaurants/ Pubs locally, maybe I could convince my wife to go and who knows maybe we could meet up for a beer sometime and practice Czech (I would have to bring my wife though, otherwise I'd have no idea what you're saying - unless you start cursing in Czech, then I'd feel right at home :wink:.

Douglas

4. mfish

mfish New Member

Hello Tampans,

I am moving to Tampa this summer and was so happy to find out that there are some Czech speaking people or Czech enthusiasts there. My husband (American) and I (Czech) live in Chicago now but he got a job at USF and we will be relocating in August. It would make the transition a lot easier if I had someone to share my interests (things czech, literature and culture) with. If anybody wants to learn Czech, I would love to help.
    I would also love to hear if there are any czech restaurants in the Tampa Bay area. I will be looking forward to read your postings if you have any tips and suggestions.

Mariana

5. Joliechase

Joliechase New Member

I noticed this feed was a bit old but i figured i would still respond to it...

My name is Jolie and I am a History student from the University of Fl now living in Tampa and getting ready to apply to grad school. I study central and eastern European history concentrating on soviet era social movements, thus Czech has quickly become very important to me. I just returned from a month in Prague living there and taking Czech at Charles University but I am in need of more Czech all the time. So if any of you know of Czech language classes, are looking to just grab a beer and let me listen to you speak Czech or just hang out and discuss the Awesomeness that is the Czech republic I would be down. Looking forward to hearing from someone soon!
    -Jolie

6. Gordy

Gordy New Member

Ha! You thought it was a bit old, yet I'm finding myself just on time :) I thought meetup would have a group, but it didn't. I'm glad I ran into this site. I had no idea it existed, yet I've been online-Czech-centric for the past three months.

I moved to Praha about eight weeks ago. I've returned recently to sell everything, hopefully sooner than later. Praha is magical, and the country is something from a fairy tale. I love my friends over there, old and new. The expats are great as well. I can't speak enough about how great life is there. I hope it continues without some of the problems that have plagued the U.S.

I contemplated the course at Univerzita Karlova. However, I felt I didn't have time. A month is all it was?? I feel I should have taken it now :(

Sure I'd be up for some Czech practice and Czech talk. I have about twenty-five kilos of language resources in Praha. Alas, I've left them there, but I did bring some materials that were portable. I also have some great pictures from the treks we took to the countryside. The Czechs are quite serious about their "nature."

One question though... Where oh where to get good beer. lol

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Hi all,

good to see some new posts here - would like to get together to talk about ČR but don't know any Czech places in the area (the only one I know is Chef Henry's in Winter Park near Orlando and it is mostly Slovak, but they do have Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell, and a couple of other good beers). Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions, I'd like to meet and chat. Looking forward to seeing you soon - Glenn.

8. Gordy

Gordy New Member

Glenn, thanks for the post! Sorry to get back so late. The browser crashed while I was using it, and then I got absent-minded upon my return.

I did some research on the beach side of Tampabay. I'm only coming up with Polish food in Clearwater, and it's a relatively new place.

Truthfully, I don't really care where we meet up as long as it's conducive to food and conversation. Pivo is nice too, but I can wait for the good stuff overseas :) I do prefer "mom and pop" places as in the CZ. Let's set something up. Since you're the veteran here, I'll leave it up to you. Either way, I'll drive any distance necessary. I feel like a fish out of water here, and I can't wait to go back ASAP. Please help me feel normal again!

I wish you Czech-lovers all the best!

9. yitka

yitka New Member

Hello,
    I just registered in here, what a lovely website. We are from Tampa, Florida. My name is Jitka (born in Chomutov) and my husband Herbert is US native. This seems to be a wonderful way how to meet some Czech native, just for the reason to have some landsfolks to keep the traditions going. We will definately appreciate to meet some friendly czech native people from Tampa area. We are in our 30's. :shock:
    Well, enough for now, looking forward to read from someone....Jitka

quote="Douglas"]Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm an American and live in sunny/ warm Tampa with my beautiful wife and 2 year old son.

My wife was born and raised in Czech (Marianske Lazne) and moved here about 8 years ago.

I've only been to Czech one time so far (visiting Marianke Lasne, Karlovy Vary, Plzen and Prague) but I really enjoyed myself and can't wait to get back. Thankfully my wife and I are planning for an extended vacation (4-6 weeks) there in early fall and I hope to be able to see alot more of the country.

My only hope is that I can improve on my pitifully weak grasp of basic Czech! It should be easier to learn with a Czech speaking wife but I can't seem to pick it up.

Ah well, I will keep trying and maybe tuning into this forum will help give me inspiration.

Douglas[/quote]

10. yitka

yitka New Member

Hello Mariana,
    I am czech native and live in Tampa. There is always a chance to meet new czech folks around. My husband Herbert is US native as your husband is, so we definately have some common topics to talk.
    Well, there is my email .....yitka@yahoo.com
    Zatim :shock: Jitka

11. kamila08

kamila08 New Member

Ahoj Jitko
    Jmenuji se Kamila a jsem take z Tampy.
    Jestli mas chut si popovidat , tak tady je muj email : kpicard08@earthlink.net

Ahoj

[/quote]

12. kamila08

kamila08 New Member

13. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Ahoj Jitko,
    Ja jsem z Prahy ale bydlim v Californii.