My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

great movie!....what was the title?
Go to page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeisig

PostPosted: 25-Apr-06 9:54  Reply with quote

And what about such empires like Austrian, Russian and Ottoman? Without them the picture of the European history must be distorted.

Frankly speaking, in our grammar school (gymnasium) we were concentrated mainly on the Czech and European history with the exception of such "global" events like the discovery of the new continents, the industrial revolution and both World Wars. And the history of the working-class and communist movement, of course (it was before 1989).

The history of Subsaharan Africa Shocked - I have no clue what it is about? Embarassed

And I keep in mind all Roman emperors (and their wives) of the Julio-Claudian dynasty only due to the TV serial "I, Claudius" (with Derek Jacobi as gimpy Claudius).
atyka

PostPosted: 25-Apr-06 12:51  Reply with quote

It's a pity, but I believe normal as well that the history-teaching is local-centred (if this word exists Smile ) I remember studying a lot the prehistory, people in caves etc, but not so much of modern world history. Anything about Asia, Africa... Sad
magan

PostPosted: 25-Apr-06 17:17  Reply with quote

Because it would be impossible to be truthfull. Modern history always depends on who is telling it. Which side of the War do you believe - they both feel VERY justified. Politics also have no "right side".
brook

PostPosted: 25-Apr-06 18:27  Reply with quote

What are you talking about - when it comes to history and everything else, Americans are always right!

(just in case you cannot detect my sarcasm, I am joking Very Happy )
atyka

PostPosted: 25-Apr-06 19:10  Reply with quote

magan wrote:
Modern history always depends on who is telling it.

You hit the nail.. I remember now how I was surprised when attending the modern history classes on Uni in Budapest. Totally different from (the little) I knew about the WWI.. But maybe we could hear st.. But I wrote it is normal as well because I believe the students would not be able to learn everything... When I remember all the stuff secondary school people have to learn.. But still, it's a pity we have not heard anything about those themes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Central & Eastern Europe All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: