Kovach or Kovacs and Varchola

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by julie3jax, May 3, 2006.

1. julie3jax

julie3jax Member

I'm a new member who is vacationing in Prague in October.

My great grandparents [Michael Kovach/Mihaly Kovacs and Anna Varchola] were born in Czechoslovakia, 1864-1870.

Just starting to do a little research on Kovach or Kovacs and Varchola.

2. julie3jax

julie3jax Member

Sorry for the mistake of showing my blog address in my signature. :oops:

Nice friendly welcome! :wink:

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Your great grandparents were born in the Austrian empire (the Austro-Hungarian empire after 1867). Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918.

Mihály Kovács is a common Hungarian name (kovács means blacksmith).

The most famous Varchola was Andy Warhol (the original surname of his father was Varchola, he was born in Miková, now in Slovakia).

4. julie3jax

julie3jax Member

My maternal great grandfather, Michael Kovach / Mihály Kovács was actually listed as born 8/4/1864 and Anna Varchola was a guess at 1870.

Thank you for this information ... we've previously heard from, I believe a Peter Nagy or Bill Tarkulich, that Varchola name was connected to Andy Warhol. We have/do have a very "artistic" family, so who knows if he was connected to our ancestry.

Was so interesting about:

...is that researching on my paternal great grandfather, Steve / Istvan Nagy [8/20/1864 Szatmar] and Julia Vereczki [4/8/1873] has returned similar information; i.e., Nagy "is a common Hungarian name." However, I've found that "Vereczki" is not that common ... and that there is a Dr. Julia Vereczki in Hungary.

Thank you for taking time to post this information for me. I do appreciate it.
    :wink: