My Czech Republic Home
Search My Czech Republic

Community Message Boards Member Login
 Guidelines   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages  Profile  Search Forums  FAQ  Help  Chat Register for free!

Hruba mouka? Exists in US?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannae

PostPosted: 05-Jul-06 7:24  Reply with quote

Hi, does enybody have a clue what could I use as a substitute for hrubou mouku in US? Or does somebody import it? Especially for bramborove knedliky; I tried almost everything but it was just a disaster. You can get so many kinds of flour here (I have no idea what are all these for) but you cannot get 3 basic kind (hladka, polohruba & hruba). Crying or Very sad Thank you!!!!!
Beretta03

PostPosted: 05-Jul-06 13:09  Reply with quote

Whatever you buy in the U.S. do not buy Bleached flour. There is nothing good about it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jan

PostPosted: 06-Jul-06 7:50  Reply with quote

A&P chain started to sell Polish brand "PUSZYSTA" by Lubella SA, look for "Krupczatka", it's type 500 wheat flour. If anybody know what the other names mean, please let me know (Wroclawska, Tortowa etc).
Wondra mixed with bread flour from King Arthur (unbleached) is another options and the Slovak store in Astoria selling original "Hruba mouka" on line. The link is on this forum somewhere.
Good luck!
Jan
fabik317

PostPosted: 06-Jul-06 12:00  Reply with quote

I'd figure Wroclawska means "from Wroclaw" and Tortowa "for cakes" but I can be wrong
meluzina

PostPosted: 11-Jul-06 9:44  Reply with quote

if you can find WONDRA flour somewhere - is pretty much hruba mouka - last i was in us, they sold it only in 1lb canisters and was slabelled pretty much for gravies and such - it is a blue contained with orange (i think) writing

i just tried a new recipe for bramborove knedliky, and my boyfriend said they were better than the ones with just hruba mouka - used 1/2 hruba and 1/2 krupicka (cream of wheat in the u.s., not the instant kind)

1kg potatoes (not sure which type in the u.s., know not russets Smile ) 20dkg hruba mouka 20 dkg krupicky 1 egg salt - cook 20 to 25 minutes - also good for making the filled kind of potato dumpliongs
magan

PostPosted: 11-Jul-06 10:07  Reply with quote

"Krupczatka" means means Czech "krupicka" and in English "cream of wheat". Cream of wheat alone can be used for making potato dumplings.

I make perfect bread dumplings with our regular soft flour, yeast and water in bread maker (just basic white bread dough), let it rise(it must look like dough for bread you can handle/comes off the bread maker container), take it out carefully, cut in half, gently finish forming into loaves and cook in salted boiling water. This is usual restaurant dumpling. If you have extra time, you can make dough more runnyand mix in dry cubes of toasted toast then let it rise. Bread maker will brake bread, so this needs to be done by hand only.

Wroclawska = location in Poland, Tortowa = for cakes. And yes, Czechs use hruba mouka or polohruba mouka in most of their "cake" recipes.

Do not despair little cooks, I just put 4 kg of polohruba mouka in my suitcase and I am taking it to your Continent. I will be taking sample of it around to bulk stores etc. to compare and will experiment. I cannot believe that there is not cheaper (and easier) version of this type of Wheat flour. I will get back with report on my findings.
meluzina

PostPosted: 11-Jul-06 10:19  Reply with quote

due to lack of polohruba, my mother used mix of half hruba (the WONDRA brand i mentioned in a previous post) and half hladka (she used gold medal all-purpose flour) - with good results - she also managed to adapt recipes, especially dumpling and anything requiring yeast, to use the self-rising flour available in the u.s. - now that i live in the czech rep, i've gone back to the more traditional recipes
Dannae

PostPosted: 11-Jul-06 15:15  Reply with quote

Thank you all for nice tips! I shall try what I can - I did manage the yeast dough with all purpose flour and it was so so fine but the potato dumplings just need something else.
Thank you soooooooooo MUCH again!!!! Laughing
Marci

PostPosted: 12-Jul-06 22:09  Reply with quote

You can also go on: czechtempo.com - czech store in city of Chicago, they have a lot of things - pernik, mouku, cukrovinky...
Kanadanka

PostPosted: 29-Jul-06 12:03  Reply with quote

Robin Hood Instant Blending flour works well in both bread and potato dumplings. It's also good for rolled apple strudel Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Food & Drink All times are GMT
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: