Hruba mouka? Exists in US?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Dannae, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Hi, does enybody have a clue what could I use as a substitute for hrubou mouku in US? Or does somebody import it? Especially for bramborove knedliky; I tried almost everything but it was just a disaster. You can get so many kinds of flour here (I have no idea what are all these for) but you cannot get 3 basic kind (hladka, polohruba & hruba). :cry: Thank you!!!!!

2. Beretta03

Beretta03 Active Member

Whatever you buy in the U.S. do not buy Bleached flour. There is nothing good about it!

3. Jan

Jan Member

A&P chain started to sell Polish brand "PUSZYSTA" by Lubella SA, look for "Krupczatka", it's type 500 wheat flour. If anybody know what the other names mean, please let me know (Wroclawska, Tortowa etc).
    Wondra mixed with bread flour from King Arthur (unbleached) is another options and the Slovak store in Astoria selling original "Hruba mouka" on line. The link is on this forum somewhere.
    Good luck!
    Jan

4. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

I'd figure Wroclawska means "from Wroclaw" and Tortowa "for cakes" but I can be wrong

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

if you can find WONDRA flour somewhere - is pretty much hruba mouka - last i was in us, they sold it only in 1lb canisters and was slabelled pretty much for gravies and such - it is a blue contained with orange (i think) writing

i just tried a new recipe for bramborove knedliky, and my boyfriend said they were better than the ones with just hruba mouka - used 1/2 hruba and 1/2 krupicka (cream of wheat in the u.s., not the instant kind)

1kg potatoes (not sure which type in the u.s., know not russets :) ) 20dkg hruba mouka 20 dkg krupicky 1 egg salt - cook 20 to 25 minutes - also good for making the filled kind of potato dumpliongs

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

"Krupczatka" means means Czech "krupicka" and in English "cream of wheat". Cream of wheat alone can be used for making potato dumplings.

I make perfect bread dumplings with our regular soft flour, yeast and water in bread maker (just basic white bread dough), let it rise(it must look like dough for bread you can handle/comes off the bread maker container), take it out carefully, cut in half, gently finish forming into loaves and cook in salted boiling water. This is usual restaurant dumpling. If you have extra time, you can make dough more runnyand mix in dry cubes of toasted toast then let it rise. Bread maker will brake bread, so this needs to be done by hand only.

Wroclawska = location in Poland, Tortowa = for cakes. And yes, Czechs use hruba mouka or polohruba mouka in most of their "cake" recipes.

Do not despair little cooks, I just put 4 kg of polohruba mouka in my suitcase and I am taking it to your Continent. I will be taking sample of it around to bulk stores etc. to compare and will experiment. I cannot believe that there is not cheaper (and easier) version of this type of Wheat flour. I will get back with report on my findings.

7. meluzina

due to lack of polohruba, my mother used mix of half hruba (the WONDRA brand i mentioned in a previous post) and half hladka (she used gold medal all-purpose flour) - with good results - she also managed to adapt recipes, especially dumpling and anything requiring yeast, to use the self-rising flour available in the u.s. - now that i live in the czech rep, i've gone back to the more traditional recipes

8. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Thank you all for nice tips! I shall try what I can - I did manage the yeast dough with all purpose flour and it was so so fine but the potato dumplings just need something else.
    Thank you soooooooooo MUCH again!!!! :lol:

9. Marci

Marci Member

You can also go on: czechtempo.com - czech store in city of Chicago, they have a lot of things - pernik, mouku, cukrovinky...

10. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

Robin Hood Instant Blending flour works well in both bread and potato dumplings. It's also good for rolled apple strudel :)

11. Saintdennis

Saintdennis Member

Use all purpose unbleached flour

Saintdennis

12. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

This one will not work - I know that already. Only Wondra is the right kind.

13. meluzina

try using cream of wheat (not the instant kind) - i think that is the same as dětská krupička ?? in your potato dumplings - tip i learnt from an old aunt of mine years abnd years ago

14. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

You can also order hrubou mouku on line, polohrubou too.

15. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Cool - but do you know the website? Because I looked and looked :cry:

16. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

http://www.slovczechvar.com/?page=20&ca ... ategory=12

Here you go Dannae :)

I order from them a lot and only issue I’ve ever had was some candy melting. Most likely it was the UPS man’s fault for having the package in his truck all day in the middle of July. So to be on the safe side I just don’t order any candy in the summer …
    Other then that they super quick on getting the order out and take PayPal so you don’t even have to give out your CC# if you don't want to.

17. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Thank you VERY MUCH !!!! That's great!

18. Saintdennis

Saintdennis Member

We have a few different flour: All purpose,Whole wheat,cake flour,rye:white,medium,dark and rye chops then high gluten,barley,spelt and list go on and on. For dumplings use all purpose flour unbleached that I use, bread flour or mix whole wheat with all porpuse flour.

Saintdennis

19. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I tried to use all purpose for bread dumplings. Those were fine. But for potato dumplings you need hruba mouka (hard coarsed kind). Every time I used all purpose, potato dumplings did not survive the boiling process :cry: ... I had something like mashed potatoes instead :roll:

20. Saintdennis

Saintdennis Member

try use one cup whole wheat flour and two all purpose flour.Mix it and you will see if your dumplings come OK. If you will have some problem that use more whole wheat flour and if they will too hard use last whle wheat flour.

Saintdennis