czech/american romance

Discussion in 'Culture' started by czechless, Jan 9, 2004.

1. czechless

czechless Member

ahoj...I was wondering if somebody could enlighten me on a few things...here it goes...I had a czech girlfriend from Prague...we met in the states...I'm american...we had a whirlwind romance and it continued for some time...I visited her twice in czech...she obviously can't come back here anytime soon, so we broke up. Unfortunately, we had our difficulties in our relationship due to the fact that we are of the same sex...I know that in major cities it's really a live and let live type rule, but as far as in other parts of CR, like Ceske Budejovice, or Brno, or Oloumoc...are same-sex relationships accepted or frowned upon? I was planning on moving to Czech, but my ex seemed to be a little different towards me while I was there...it was great...then stressful...then great...then stressful...so in conclusion...I was wondering about this for so long...also...is it common for czech women to be so affectionate towards other czech women? Is this normal, or maybe my ex was a little crazy upstairs...there's something about czech women that is so enchanting though-that's why I need to know...dekuji:-(

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Well I don't know anything about living anywhere else than in Prague, but I will help to answer your questions from my own experience.

I left Cz. long time ago, but when I visit, I can still see some differences in women's behaviour comparing it to US/Canada. For example, many female friends hug and kiss (not on the lips) when they are greeting each other. As many more people walk on the street in Cz., when women friends (or mother/daughter/grandma) are talking and walking, they hook their arms so those walking in opposite direction won't divide them and their conversation will not be interupted. This is not "gay behaviour" and it is considered normal. As till not very long time ago (after Iron Curtain lifted) it didn't even occur to most people that somebody would be gay, I thought that there was much more freedom in behaviour between two women/friends that in West, where we are more "aware" and behive approprietly.

As there were always shortage of places to live in, it was customary that younger generations lived with their parents till the got married or went off to get their education in other city. Therefore, I can see problem your ex-girlfriend would have in setting up household with you in area where her parents live. There is still lots of fear about homosexuality in Cz., but like everywhere else it more or less comes with education and intelligence of each individual how they approach others who are not same as they are. Same would go for different race, disability etc. and you would be probably talk of town even if you would be heterosexual couple and settle down together.

I don't know what other kind of behaviour of your ex-girlfriends you are implying to, but if you are still interested in answer, you would have to go into more details with your question or if you want ask me by personal e-mail.

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

One more thing ...quoting you that "...it was great...then stressful...then great...then stressful...".

You have to realize that many Czech women would not be as comfortable with "being gay" as many Western women are. On contrary, it would be rather natural that they would be bit "screwy about their feelings" and not as casual as most of Western gays are. Just think about 20 years back in your own country when it was not as acceptable as it is now to live your live just the way you feel like it, but your parents rules.

I can guarantee you that there are many more loopy Czech gays that in USA.

4. czechless

czechless Member

Cau Magan....I really appriciate your feedback, as it has enlightened me somewhat. This is what I have surmised...no matter where in the world somebody lives and they are gay...there will always be some ridicual that follows. This is normal due to people's fears that inhibit them to really accept other people's lifestyles. It's unfortunate though, because my ex is in fact a little... how should I properly say this....."a little outside the norm", just with basic everyday situations and thinking. She clearly wasn't the right person for me, but has left such an impression upon me, that I find it almost natural for me to seek out some answers. By looking at us, nobody would ever figure us to be lesbian...I'm just a casual relaxed person, with not the stereo-typical character that generally goes along with being lesbian...also I'm fiercly private about this aspect of my life...I don't "advertise" so to speak. Just as heterosexuals don't neccessarily "advertise" their relationships. My struggle was that Jana was free thinking here, but once I was in CR...it was a different story. I understand why though with her family and all....it must have been more difficult in fact, than even maintaining our long-distance relationship. She is a naturally affectionate person towards her friends.....and I already understand about walking arm and arm because my family is of Italian ancestry...so this is common in most of Europe...it's actually comforting. I think that she was just a little strange to begin with, but my other Czech friends can behave in this manner as well. In western society...I think that "alternative" lifestyles or more accepted...it's a part of life...where as in eastern parts of the world....it might be like America was 20-30 years ago in viewing homosexuality as a whole. It's easy to believe the "live and let live rule", but it is up to the individual person to accept or reject this lifestyle. Definitly education plays a big role, and also environment. I have a great network of people that will always support me....and all of them are heterosexual. Feel free to email me anytime with your thoughts and opinions. It's quite refreshing to get another perspective! czech1212@hotmail.com.....dekuji:)