Foolproof way to clean percolator

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gypzy, Nov 1, 2006.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I love percolator coffee! For a while I have been trying to figure out ways to clean mine (I have 3). On both aluminum and even stainless steel they can and will get stained. Washing in sink doesn't take off stains, plus it leaves a soapy taste in my coffee :mrgreen: . Now I figured out to boil in a solution of vinegar and water 50/50.
    First you put in vinegar and water, put basket in also, boil on stove on highest temp until it has violent boil, wait for a while, boil again on next lowest temp, repeat until it has been done on 3rd lowest temp, then pour out water, use a scrubby (not a brillo pad, it has soap) like a metal one, rinse. It may not get completely clean on first try, but your coffee will taste better. If stains aren't too bad this does not have to be done on every cleaning, just boil water in it for a while.
    I think this may be why people don't make percolator coffee anymore. It seems more strong and forgiving. It can be reheated after you come home from work or wherever and still taste good.

2. Rivka

Rivka Member

Not sure what this has to do with the Czech Republic :wink: but...

I've discovered a miracle product called "Dip It" that works magic on percolators. It's white powder, you just put a little in the percolator basket and put water in the urn and pretend you're making coffee. Your percolator will be sparkling new in a few minutes! I've found it in the coffee aisle of the grocery store, next to the basket filters and such.

3. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Hi Rivka,

Thank you for telling me about this product. I will have to find it. I never knew that it existed. Normally I try to use natural stuff to clean with. But I will try it. Once in a while won't hurt. I like that using the vinegar also acts as an air freshner in my home. It doesn't smell great at first. It does clear the sinuses and takes out food smells.
    The reason I posted about perculators is that coffee is an international beverage.

gypzy