DVD in Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by magan, Jan 24, 2004.

1. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I would like to know if there is identical DVD system in Czech Republic as in Canada/US. Would DVD movies work on both continents?

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

The short answer is - no.

The longer one says, that Czech Republic (same as the whole Europe) is a different "DVD region" than US - US is in region 1, Europe region 2. There are six regions altogether.

Almost every DVD disc is coded to one of those regions. So is the hardware able to play DVDs. To play a DVD in a player, both the disc and the player must be of the same region. And, of course, discs of one region are not sold in the other ones.

However, some discs are multiregional, or even region free, so they can be played anywhere - i am now watching the movie "Lemonade Joe", which is all-regional. Also, some of the hardware producers sell region-free players.

The region information should be clearly stated on every disc or dvd hardware - it is usually symbolized by a digit over a globe.

So the summary is: unless you have a region-free player, or buy a region 1 or region-all disc, the movies will not work. There are ways of altering the software in your DVD player to disable the region check, but this might be a bit illegal and you will surely lose the warranty :)

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Halef for your short and long answer. I have 7" Portable DVD Player (Polaroid) which is very verstile. Its' compatibioity is DVD, CD, CD-R, DC-RW, Picture CD and MO3 discs. It automatically adapts fo woltage requirements in the US and other countries.

Unfortunately this player's code is region 1. Am I assuming right that I cannot watch Czech movies there, but at least CD will play on it?

I will use it to load lot of my digital photos so I can show our travels and family, will probably get Tai Chi or Yoga DVD in Canada to excercise by. I hope to buy and borrow some CDs I can play when I am in Cz. I cannot think of anything else.

I can watch movies on it anywhere (even in car) or can plug it into tv to watch it on tv screen, but you just shaterred my hopes.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.