"Excuse me"

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Leah, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Leah

Leah Active Member

When do Czechs find it appropriate to say "excuse me"? I have noticed that I say it CONSTANTLY! I even walked into a parking meter the other day, and it automatically came out - "excuse me!" I was more embarassed that I apologized to a hunk of metal than the actual walking into it. Here is when I say "excuse me" -

1)when I need help from someone (i.e. waiter)
    2)interrupting someone talking
    3)when I walk close to someone in a hall, elevator, or store aisle
    4)when I yawn (this also is so automatic, I say it to myself when I yawn alone)
    5)when someone else is being rude, like butting in line

That's all I can think of at the moment - just curious, because I feel like I have some sort of affliction that causes me to say "excuse me" too often!

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

1 - 4: Promiňte

5 - this is more complicated, by my opinion, in this case, you probably should say something specific in regard of situation, like:

Prosím, nepředbíhejte - Please, don't jump the queue

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Would you use prominte when someone asks you something in Czech and you want to say "Sorry" at the start of "Nerozumim cesky."?

4. doman

doman Well-Known Member

[quote
    Would you use prominte when someone asks you something in Czech and you want to say "Sorry" at the start of "Nerozumim cesky."?[/quote]

:D In this case, you should speak English !

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, I would.

6. doman

doman Well-Known Member

People won't believe that you couldn't speak Czech when you tell them fluently " Prominte, nerozumim Cesky !" :lol:

7. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Could you say:

"Promiňte, nerozumím dobře česky."

8. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestion! Although I have to say that as soon as I open my mouth, even if in theory the words are right, they would quite believe that I don't understand Czech!

9. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

I speak Czech reasonably well enough to hold a conversation, but often my vocabulary is limited to the extent that I do not understand what is being said. I often use the above phrase at those times.
    I have the good fortune to speak Czech with virtually no accent, and am sometimes mistaken for a Czech! However the difficulties of the grammar and vocabulary limitations let me down.

I have few opportunities to practice at the moment, so the prospect for improvement is limited.

10. evantula

evantula Active Member

The Czechs also say "excuse me" in two ways. They either say "promin/prominte", or they use the french "pardon" ... nothing wrong with good manners!

11. evantula

evantula Active Member

-----------------------

... dovolte is also used :)

12. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

My mother must be excessively polite then, since she has a tendency to say "pardon, promin" :wink: