Goulash (Gulas) recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by chazzauk, Feb 27, 2007.

1. chazzauk

chazzauk Active Member

Hello all

Does anybody have or know where I can get a good czech goulash (gulas) recipe?

I have been looking since I got back from prague last year.

Thank you

Charlie

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My husband's cousin is a chef and owns two restaurants in CR. He stayed in the States a while and taught me to cook Gulaš. I will give you his recipe and I hope you like it.

However, these are American measurements and with American ingredients. I don't know where you are living.

3 large onions, brown in oil on high
    add cut meat and brown meat with onions
    add lots of paprika
    at about 1 tablespoon of ketchup adn 1 tablespoon of mustard
    stir and add 4 tablespoons of flour, stir quickly
    add water, as much as you want for sauce it will thicken later
    add garlic powder, seasoning salt, parsley, 4 drops of tabasco sauce, lots of salt a 2 cubes of beef boullion, a few drops of worcestershire sauce, a few drops of soy sauce. Stir, taste for flavor, reduce heat, and cook about 1 hour until meat is tender and sauce is thickend. Enjoy

Of course, in my house, my husband tastes for flavor and he doesn't know that I cheat and add the dry gulošový seasoning packet my mother-in-law brings from CR. :wink:

Also, there is a recipe made with plsner beer on this website:

http://www.catvusa.com/index.php?file=/archive_2004/recipes/tv18b_04_Beef gulas.wmv

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

That sounds really good Katka, nice and spicey. Here is a simple one from "The Czechoslovak Cookbook" by Joza Brizova:

2 lbs. beef (shank or chuck)
    1/4 cup lard
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/4 tsp paprika
    dash of pepper
    pinch of marjoram
    salt to taste
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 Tbs flour
    2 cups (approximately) water

Fry onion in lard until yellow; add paprika and meat; brown. Add seasonings; pour in 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer until tender, adding more water as it evaporates. When meat is done, uncover it and let all the water evaporate. Dust with flour; stir until brown. Add 1 cup more water; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer. Serves 4 to 6.

4. Vintagevibes08

Vintagevibes08 New Member

I wanted to comment on the few recipes posted, i traveled to CP over the previous summer with some friends and had both the soup and solid form, by solid i mean it was a brown paste with bread dumplings and chunks of meat. Both versions of goulash(sp) were delicous and i am tryin to come across a recipe similer to one of the variations of goulash. So if anybody can help me out, i would greatly appreciate it. Im only 17 and im tryin to aqcuire multiple taste for foriegn foods. Thanks alot!.

5. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Here is one of my favorite goulas recipe's:

Segedin Goulas
    INGREDIENTS
    1 Onion diced
    2 tablespoons oil or butter
    2 pounds diced port (shoulder is fine) - 1inch cubes
    2-3 tablespoons Hungarion paprika (sweet)
    1 pound sauerkraut
    2 tbsp flour
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup sour cream

1. Fry onions in oil or butter until golden brown.
    2. Add the diced pork, 1 cup water and the paprika (more or less to your taste). Cover.
    3. Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring and adding water as needed
    4. Take the sauerkraut and rinse with water - the more rinses the better to remove as much vinegar as possible.
    5. Add to cooked pork and mix well. Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
    6. Mix the milk and flour together and add to pork mixture. bring to a slow boil to thicken 3-5 minutes.
    7. Add the sour cream and stir well.

May be served with knedliky (preferred) or egg noodles.

I find that it always tasated better the second day, so this can be made the day before, and reheated for a fuller taste. Regarding the paprika - I usually use a but more than my mother's recipe calls for because I like it, but the above amount should do nicely.

Oh yes - make sure you serve it with a GOOD cold Czech Beer.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I enjoy a good goulash as much as the next guy, but isn't the phrase "Czech goulash" about like "French pizza?"

7. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I enjoy a good goulash as much as the next guy, but isn't the phrase "Czech goulash" about like "French pizza?"

I don't think so since there are a few Czech Dishes with the goulas name - I can think of these right now: "Goulasova Polevka", "Goulas". These are, I believe very unique to Czech Cuisine. I actually make both and do enjoy them.

I believe "Segedyn Goulas" is not really a Hungarian dish, but is made "in the style of a Hungarian dish" (using the sweet Hungarian paprika) and thus given the name. However, someone more knowledgable with Czech Cuisine will probably provide a better answer than I can.

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Rather American pizza. Czech culture (including the cuisine) has a lot in common with American melting pot. Other typical Czech meals: vídeňský řízek, bavorské vdolky, uherský salám, francouzská polévka…

9. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

they are not unique, only the terminology is confused, the czech word guláš describes what is called pörkölt in hungarian. gulyás (in the hungarian sense) is known as gulášová polévka (goulash soup) in the cr and slovakia. the szeged goulash indeed is an original hungarian dish, but it's called something else there, it's only known as szeged goulash in the rest of austria-hungary

10. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

ruská vejce, španělský ptáček, francouzské brambory, frankfurtská polévka, budapešťská pomazánka, ... 8)

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I guess, what I was originally looking for was a Hungarian perspective on the Czech usage of "guláš" (okay, and somewhat tongue in cheek :) ). For example, my Italian friends are always confused and/or upset about "American pizza", particularly when it is labeled as "Italian food."

Anyway, from what I gather from your comments is that Czechs attribute all guláš's as ethnically Czech, unless specified as "Szegedin" or "Maďarský," in which case, this is more an instance of a borrowed foreign word to describe a local cuisine, in contrast to the case of "American pizza," where often the origin is improperly attributed to Italy, when in fact the food is not authentic Italian, but rather a local evolution of the original ethnic food.

12. cherf

cherf New Member

Prominta Prosim -

I am looking for a recipe for goulash that I enjoyed in Praha a few weeks ago. It was a small bistro in front of the Alphonse Mucha museum near the clock tower.

The revealing trait of that goulash was that the gravy was brown, unlike the red Hungarian varieties. Would you have any insights into how this was done?

Respectfully,

Scott Cherf

Dobre dan.

13. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

The recipe I listed earlier (on page 1) is quite brown - uses very little paprika (the agent that usually makes a goulash red). Goulashes are very individual, everyone makes theirs a little different, experiment until you find the proportions you like.

Dobrou chut'

14. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Unless I've not read them properly - always a possibility - none of the recipes so far have included caraway seeds and I don't think I've had a gulas since I came to Prague that hasn't had them in it!

15. cherf

cherf New Member

Dekuji vam!

16. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

We add never caraway seeds into our "guláš" at home 8)

We almost always cook potatoes with caraway seeds=> if we have "guláš" with potatoes, it is usually with caraway seeds too. 8)

17. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

My mother always put caraway seed into Segedyn Gulas and into the Gulas Soup. I don't recollect it being put in the Beef Goulas - I just checked the recipe my mother gave me and there are NO caraway seeds in it.

18. minimilk

minimilk New Member

Gulas, Goulash, Gullasch, is a variation of the same dish. Where the dish originates is unknown, however the name has been used for serveral hundreds of years to describe a fairly similar dish served in: Denmark, Germany, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, Romania.

A "basis" goulash is made from:
    Diced meat (pork or beef)
    Fat (oil, lard, butter or margerine)
    Tomatoes (paste, ketchup, diced, skinned or puree)
    Paprika (powder and/or diced)
    salt & pepper
    water

which other spices and ingrediences you add varies from region to region and from family to family. you know what tastes your family like, so i suggest you just go ahead and try adding some different ingredients in accordance to your family's likes and dislikes.

suggested ingredients:
    Onions
    Garlic
    Cabbage
    Beer
    Bacon
    Maize
    Curry powder
    Parsley
    Basil
    Marian / Oregano
    Cocktail sausage / sliced vienna sausage / sliced frankfurt sausage
    Asparagus
    Peas
    Chili
    Nutmeg
    White wine
    Wheat flour
    mushrooms
    etc

and what you serve with the goulash may also vary:
    Rice
    mashed potatoes
    knedlik / Knödel
    boiled potatoes
    mashed roots (celary, potatoes, parsnip etc)

19. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Here in the States we have a dish called "goulash" which is considered Italian.

Its elbow noodles, fried hamburger, & tomato juice or spaghetti sauce (which ever one you prefer). Here's a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahparah/480274292/

Does anyone have a recipi for gulaš polevka? I'd love to learn to make it.

20. Dani

Dani New Member

:shock:
    I don't know this dish in the picture, but all I can say is that this isn't absolutely Italian. And Goulash isn't - absolutely - an Italian dish, too. I know it for sure: I'm Italian... :D

Czech cuisine is simply superb... 8)